cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Visa Signature Credit Cards Still Refuse To Report Credit Limits?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do Visa Signature Credit Cards Still Refuse To Report Credit Limits?

I'm looking at the BoA Americard Cash Rewards and noticed it was a Visa Signature credit card. A quick Google search showed threads from 2008 and 2010 saying Visa Signature credit cards do not report credit limits so a user's credit score will take a hit.

So, as the title states, are Visa Signature credit cards still not reporting credit limits?

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: Do Visa Signature Credit Cards Still Refuse To Report Credit Limits?

I have a Lexus Visa Signature Card issued by Lexus Financial Savings Bank and it reports as a revolving account and reports the credit limit ($25,300), which is included in my overall Credit Limit available for FICO scoring purposes.  I think this card is out of the ordinary for Visa Signature Cards. 

Message 2 of 39
MS00000000
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm looking at the BoA Americard Cash Rewards and noticed it was a Visa Signature credit card. A quick Google search showed threads from 2008 and 2010 saying visa Signature credit cards do not report credit limits so a user's credit score will take a hit.

So, as the title states, are Visa Signature credit cards still not reporting credit limits?

I have the BofA Cash Rewards Visa Signature and it does report, but not the "limit." It reports the high balance. I think it shows as a flexible spending line. I have a Chase Visa Signature card that does not report at all, with or without a limit. YMMV

Message 3 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

So when the BoA Cash Rewards Visa Signature credit card reports your high balance (or whatever you charged and paid off), does it still affect your credit score since they don't take that amount in relation with your credit limit (since it's not reported)?

Message 4 of 39
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

USBank and Nordstrom are the only exception I can think of right now that reports a credit line not high balance on the signature cards.

Message 5 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the difference between those two on a credit report (credit line vs. high balance)?

Message 6 of 39
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

BoA reports high limit.  If utilization is of concern, I recommend charging it up and allowing it to report the balance.  Make a payment immediately afterward to avoid interest.

Message 7 of 39
anderl
Frequent Contributor

I have a Chase Visa Signature that just ,as of this month, began reporting the CL. Not sure why ,but it sure helps in my utilization since it added an xtra 35k in CL. It does report as Flexible Spending and reports the CL wheras before it only reported a High Balance(which didn't figure into my utilization at all); also my Chase World Elite MasterCard has begun to report the same way.

Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Diners Club ELITE MC(20K);Diners Club Premier MC(20K,could've sworn the rep said 25k, oh well lol);Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(7.5K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL);Barclays Mile & More Lufthansa 12.5K.
Message 8 of 39
MS00000000
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So when the BoA Cash Rewards Visa Signature credit card reports your high balance (or whatever you charged and paid off), does it still affect your credit score since they don't take that amount in relation with your credit limit (since it's not reported)?

It looks to me like the high balance is being counted as the limit and is affecting the score. The current balance is counted in my overall debt in my reports.

Message 9 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redwalker2929 wrote:

BoA has started reporting credit limits on signature and world cards as of Nov 18 2011.

Where did you hear this from?

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.