cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do YOU exaggerate your income when applying?

tag
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

Re: Do YOU exaggerate your income when applying?

@DaveSignal wrote:

@Tommy5746 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Tommy5746 wrote:

I beleive another poster in another thread said that the card act doesnt actually say if you should use household or singe income.. So, if it doesnt say and the app doesnt say.. What do you do? I mean, if they dont actually tell you whaty you should use.. can they realy penalize you for it?

Yes, if they request your tax returns and pay stubs and they dont match.

If you lie then absolutely! I agree... But what im saying is since most apps dont specify if you should use household or personal income... and if the card act doesnt specify... And you truthfully put down your household total income... can they penalize you if they really only wanted your personal but they didnt specify? Seems like a gray area to me...

The banks can penalize you for anything they want.  They are not obligated to lend you their money.

Absolutely true that banks are NOT obligated to lend you their money.. However, I would disagree that they can penalize you for anything they want.. they have laws, rules and regulations which they must follow.. if they penalize a person unjustly just because they feel like it then they can face some pretty harsh fines and penalties of their own! We have seen in recent times that a lot of the old fee's that banks and CCC's used to charge have been challenged heavily by the Government.. Granted, they just fine other ways to ding you for a buck here and there but still..

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 71 of 118
Settemio
Regular Contributor

I wasnt aware I shouldnt use total house income... I 'will' going forward. Thanks for the info. I am not worried really. I have been saying 205k income, which included my wifes and I make 170k so if they ever want to penalize me for that, I guess they can do whatever they think will be in their best interest... That or Ill start working overtime Smiley Happy

Message 72 of 118
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Tommy5746 wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

@Tommy5746 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Tommy5746 wrote:

I beleive another poster in another thread said that the card act doesnt actually say if you should use household or singe income.. So, if it doesnt say and the app doesnt say.. What do you do? I mean, if they dont actually tell you whaty you should use.. can they realy penalize you for it?

Yes, if they request your tax returns and pay stubs and they dont match.

If you lie then absolutely! I agree... But what im saying is since most apps dont specify if you should use household or personal income... and if the card act doesnt specify... And you truthfully put down your household total income... can they penalize you if they really only wanted your personal but they didnt specify? Seems like a gray area to me...

The banks can penalize you for anything they want.  They are not obligated to lend you their money.

Absolutely true that banks are NOT obligated to lend you their money.. However, I would disagree that they can penalize you for anything they want.. they have laws, rules and regulations which they must follow.. if they penalize a person unjustly just because they feel like it then they can face some pretty harsh fines and penalties of their own! We have seen in recent times that a lot of the old fee's that banks and CCC's used to charge have been challenged heavily by the Government.. Granted, they just fine other ways to ding you for a buck here and there but still..

As far as reducing credit limits, putting funds on hold, or closing accounts, banks do it all the time and I don't think there is any government regulation that prevents them from doing so.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 73 of 118
ajh5408
Contributor

I never exaggerate... I take far more pride in the size of my investment accounts than in the size of my credit lines.

Message 74 of 118
Voodard
Contributor

If you live in a community property state, like I do here in Texas, then stating your household income is perfectly fine on a credit application.  My wife's debt is mine and mine is hers in accordance with our state.  Texas' point of view is that if either of us mess up, we're both liable.

TU 743 as of 5/12
EQ 715 as of 10/13
EX Plus 780 as of 7/12

Cards in wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred ($25k) Chase Freedom (8k) NFCU Platinum ($24k) HHonors Reserve ($11k)
United MileagePlus Club ($17k)
Message 75 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

I find it hard to believe I'm the only one, but I have always lied on CC aps for income.

Message 76 of 118
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I find it hard to believe I'm the only one, but I have always lied on CC aps for income.

You're not alone but few will admit to doing so here and get chastised about it. So everyone denies it but it is surely done by many.

Message 77 of 118
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forums!!!

Naughty naughty......................Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 78 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the welcome. TBH, it's quite a revelation to me that so many people claim less or equal to what they actually make. I always assumed nearly everyone fudged and it was just a question of how much. I've had 20+ CC accounts since 1990 (not all at once) and have never been asked for any proof of income. I've never applied for an AMEX. I didn't think my limits were based too much on the income though.

Message 79 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love honest people! lol. Welcome to the forums!!!

Message 80 of 118
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.