cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do YOU exaggerate your income when applying?

tag
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Do YOU exaggerate your income when applying?

@LionLaw wrote:
That reminds me of a story my Securities Regulation prof told.

We were talking about insider trading, and some of the little, seemingly undetectable ways people commit insider trading. One of my classmates asked the prof "How do they get caught?" My prof sighed and said "Every year someone in this class asks that question. And when I look in the Wall Street Journal and read about one of my former students going to jail for insider trading, it's always the ones who sat where you are now and asked that same question. You will get caught, and you will go to jail Don't worry about how. Just don't do it."

Funny story and it brings up the question of what, exactly, is insider trading.

Person A, a company exec, files a Form 144 to sell shares. Form 144 specifically states they have no material inside information, a requirement of the Form.

Person B, a non affiliate, learns that Person A has filled a Form 144.

Does the mere knowledge that an exec, who has officially stated they have no insider info, intends to sell shares constitute insider trading?

The answer depends on the era.

(hint: Martha, Martha, Martha)

While this is getting off topic, it illustrates that sometimes things aren't clearcut and when you operate close to the line sometimes one can't be sure which side one is really on.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 111 of 118
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@cashnocredit wrote:

@LionLaw wrote:
That reminds me of a story my Securities Regulation prof told.

We were talking about insider trading, and some of the little, seemingly undetectable ways people commit insider trading. One of my classmates asked the prof "How do they get caught?" My prof sighed and said "Every year someone in this class asks that question. And when I look in the Wall Street Journal and read about one of my former students going to jail for insider trading, it's always the ones who sat where you are now and asked that same question. You will get caught, and you will go to jail Don't worry about how. Just don't do it."

Funny story and it brings up the question of what, exactly, is insider trading.

Person A, a company exec, files a Form 144 to sell shares. Form 144 specifically states they have no material inside information, a requirement of the Form.

Person B, a non affiliate, learns that Person A has filled a Form 144.

Does the mere knowledge that an exec, who has officially stated they have no insider info, intends to sell shares constitute insider trading?

The answer depends on the era.

(hint: Martha, Martha, Martha)

While this is getting off topic, it illustrates that sometimes things aren't clearcut and when you operate close to the line sometimes one can't be sure which side one is really on.

Yes, and while I truly do enjoy reading a spirited and thoughtful debate, let's please remember to stay on topic. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 112 of 118
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Tommy5746 wrote:

@SwampSystems wrote:

@Tommy5746 wrote:

we ALL know you shouldnt lie on your app.. but, if somebody said they make 32k but they really make 30k... im going to bet the farm that the WORST thing that happens is the CCC closes the card.. and possibly even blacklists them... I dont see that as a top tier case for the feds lol... And i hiiighly doubt the CCC would even report it...

Fraud is fraud. According to Title 18 of the U.S. Code, Section 1014, the maximium penalty is $1,000,000 or 30 years in prison.

I dont deny that lying on an application is against the law, and wrong.. but you give me just one.. one single case where somebody fudged there income by 1k or 2k and they got jail time...Fudging your income by 10, 20 or even 30k or more is warrant for legal investigation..BUT  You wont find one for somebody exaggerating by 1 or 2k.. Its like speeding in a car.. should you speed? No.. is it stupid? yes.. Do people ever get jail time for going 5 miles over the speed limit? absolutely not.. Thats ridiculous...

Tommy, in this thread you seem to be trying to ease your own mind regarding what you deem to be minimal fudging of income. I would be very cautious about rationalizing illegal behavior per using an economic degree of separation.

When you sign that application, you are attesting, under penalty of credit card application fraud, that the information is correct. I don't believe that trying to get a leg up on a credit application is worth having credit card application fraud stapled to every future credit application I submit. Fudging income by any degree is a really, really stupid thing to do and potentially disastrous to your credit and legal standings.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 113 of 118
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

How do they get caught? XD
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 114 of 118
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

@CruzImperial wrote:
How do they get caught? XD

no no! lol ...Im not trying to ease my own mind.. I don’t lie on apps.. im not rich.. but im not poor.. I make enough money to live a nice life.. BUT I also realize that some people DO in fact exaggerate income by a small amount.. The sole purpose of this thread wasn’t to praise lying on applications.. because it’s wrong to do so..It was just meant to see the reason WHY people do it.. and how much they exaggerated by... and to get peoples opinions on the matter....YES, we should ALL follow the applicable laws.. but somebody who puts down that they make 31k when they really make 30k in my mind.. Isn’t going to get jail time.. Isn’t going to be investigated for fraud.. Isn’t going to be labeled a criminal.. and in my opinion, CCC's aren’t going to drop the hammer down upon them...

This is all my opinion of course but some people seem to think that stating that you make 1k more a year on credit card application are leading a life of shame and crime which just isn’t true at all.. If a person was sick and needed surgery and the best doctor in the world stated that he made 500k a year on his CC app but he really only made 499K.. would you say "I will absolutely not let that doctor operate on me! He fudged his CC app by 1k!" That sounds silly right? Sounds ridiculous too? That’s because it is ridiculous... You wouldn’t even know that the doctor exaggerated by 1k on his app because it wouldn’t be on the news.. he wouldn’t be labeled or branded a criminal and his maturity wouldn’t be taken into account.. Its not about rationalizing this "behavior" because we are talking about something so small (small being 1 or 2k)...

I can’t even believe this thread became this big... imagine seeing a headline somewhere that read "Man Jailed For Parking In Spot Reserved For Expecting Mothers Only".. Your reaction would be "seriousy!!?" because it’s so small.. It’s not even a thought.. and im almost certain that a credit card company feels the same way about somebody who puts down 51k when they really only make 50k..

Last time ill say it.. Yes, it’s wrong to exaggerate or lie on ANY application for credit..Just as it’s illegal to go 5mph over the speed limit.. just as it is illegal to park in a handicapped spot if you aren’t disabled.. we are all mature adults on this site and I believe that all of us share a common interest in our financial well being and learning..

SO, this thread should show everybody that the general consensus is to NOT lie on your app.. The overwhelming majority of us feel that its wrong and we all know its illegal..  and I would like it if the Mods locked this thread because I believe its gone in the WRONG direction!

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 115 of 118
TheConductor
Established Contributor

As I've hinted in another thread, I suspect the number of people who are willing to brazenly exaggerate their income by 1k or 2k on a credit card app far outnumbers the number who will brazenly just ask their boss for a 1k or 2k raise.  A raise which they may well deserve if they would just step up and make their case for it.

It's laughable irony considering asking for a raise is entirely legal and the only possible outcomes range from neutral (nothing happens) to positive (get a raise).

If you feel the need to exaggerate your income, whether on CC applications or in casual conversation, consider the possibility that you're not really earning what you are worth. Grow a spine, ask for more!  Even in an extended recession, there's always extra money lying around for those who know how to objectively evaluate their own performance.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 116 of 118
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

I think what Tommy4756 is talking about are people who put 50k income when they make 48,917.12 lol if is that id understand putting 50,000 for income but its not called exaggerating but rounding.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 117 of 118
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

As per the OP's request, I am closing this thread to new replies. I do believe that this thread has pretty much run its course.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 118 of 118
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.