cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do You Get CL Increase on Activation with or without HP???

tag
scottykhan
Contributor

Do You Get CL Increase on Activation with or without HP???

I just got approved for Merrill+ card with $15000 limit. I was reading Fico forums and other boards that you can sometime ask for CL increase if you are not satisfied with your initial CL. My question is since Merrill is owned by BOA, so would it be another hard pull if I ask for CLI once I activate my card?? BOA always do HP on CLI.. Any thoughts?

In my Wallet:  BOA Amex: $7000; BOA Platinum Priviliges Cash Rewards: $7500 ; Discover: $2500 ; Barclays: $2500

Experian: 637   Equifax: 645   Transunion: 657

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Do You Get CL Increase on Activation with or without HP???

@scottykhan wrote:

I just got approved for Merrill+ card with $15000 limit. I was reading Fico forums and other boards that you can sometime ask for CL increase if you are not satisfied with your initial CL. My question is since Merrill is owned by BOA, so would it be another hard pull if I ask for CLI once I activate my card?? BOA always do HP on CLI.. Any thoughts?

In my Wallet:  BOA Amex: $7000; BOA Platinum Priviliges Cash Rewards: $7500 ; Discover: $2500 ; Barclays: $2500

You have $14,500 before APP with Bank of American already and now they gave you an additional $15k?  Looking at your mid 600's credit score and your 2 other very small credit lines compared to Bank of America I would ask how you did it and be careful hitting a more conservative lending agenda swipe them all away!

Message 2 of 10
NewYorkGuy
Established Member

@scottykhan wrote:

You were approved for 15K. That's a solid credit line. Don't push your luck. I would wait 6 months then ask for a CLI if you must have one. It would almost certainly result in a HP in your case since you just got the card... or possibly even adverse action. 15K is as good a starting limit most can get nowadays. Count your blessings and don't let greed ruin what seems to be a great relationship between you and BofA.

Message 3 of 10
scottykhan
Contributor

I have been BOA customer for over 7 years now and I have Platinum membership with them. So, last Friday I went to see the branch manager for a money market account, he told me to apply for this card and I did. Didn;t get approve right away but later on I called to check the status and I was approved. CR still not clean but I have good deposits and investment accounts with them plus high six figure income.   I'm hoping for atlest 25k on Merrill+ card on activation

Message 4 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@scottykhan wrote:

I have been BOA customer for over 7 years now and I have Platinum membership with them. So, last Friday I went to see the branch manager for a money market account, he told me to apply for this card and I did. Didn;t get approve right away but later on I called to check the status and I was approved. CR still not clean but I have good deposits and investment accounts with them plus high six figure income.   I'm hoping for atlest 25k on Merrill+ card on activation

Okay... So then talk to your manager again... I think the credit card department is getting pushed around on this one and I would let that continue to happen behind the scenes... I like (well I don't like) to think worse case scenario but call me crazy but even calling into underwriting I picture you saying thanks for the $15 but I need this to go to $25k and this person pulls up your credit and sees baddies and sees this is your 3rd account that has more CL then the other 2 combined and be like I'm, sorry sir but I can't CLI, have a good day... then you go try to get gas and it's declined and you go home and call and get another nice little underwriter that says I'm sorry but it looks like after an account review we closed yours cards!

I don't know however maybe BofA can see deposit accounts right next to credit accounts...

Like I said, call me CRAZY but worse case!

I know it's different now and so not same as you but I was one of those that got socked in the gut when BofA said we need to change our credit standards and that's not only moving forward but we need to quickly review EVERY account that someone calls in!

I went from a $500 Secured to a $1k secured and at month 11 or 12 not the standard 9 back then I got unsecured to $1500... Fast forward to month 18 and I'm putting over $1500-$2k a month through this card and paying multiple times and I called to ask about rewards or something and next day my PIF came through as usual on my multiple payments and got declined at lunch with my mom... called and then transferred after being told close and underwriter says a "review" I was like I had multiple reviews and a 2nd level credit person unsecure and increase and now flash forward I have shown what I do with this card and you say now unsecured and higher limit and  longer history im still not a good customer anymore.... I was quickly told he was also a 2nd tier and he would not give me a credit card and that is final.

agian not same as you with banking history over long long time and all that but we still have to keep in mind it is a human review and usually that means good things but sometimes you get someone that feels a little bit different at what makes a good customer and what makes a good history and future regardless of what others within the bank have done and though before on your accounts.

Message 5 of 10
scottykhan
Contributor

Thanks for your concern and advice...whenever i ask for CLI  credit analyst told me that it will auto decline you because of old baddies. So, they have to over-ride the system everytime i ask for CLI.  When I hit CLI Button on my BOA credit card accounts then after seven days i first get denial letter and then approval letter alwayssss...  this has been happening for the last whole year. MY BOA Amex account also started out as a secured card and then to unsecured card and PC to BOA Amex.  Another thing credit analyst  always say "thank you for your platinum relationship with us".. it means they can see my deposit accounts as well as investment accounts... So, this helps.. But I understand I shouldnt push my luck, you never know what kinda person I meet when i ask for more CLI. But let's see when i get this card Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@scottykhan wrote:

Thanks for your concern and advice...whenever i ask for CLI  credit analyst told me that it will auto decline you because of old baddies. So, they have to over-ride the system everytime i ask for CLI.  When I hit CLI Button on my BOA credit card accounts then after seven days i first get denial letter and then approval letter alwayssss...  this has been happening for the last whole year. MY BOA Amex account also started out as a secured card and then to unsecured card and PC to BOA Amex.  Another thing credit analyst  always say "thank you for your platinum relationship with us".. it means they can see my deposit accounts as well as investment accounts... So, this helps.. But I understand I shouldnt push my luck, you never know what kinda person I meet when i ask for more CLI. But let's see when i get this card Smiley Happy

That is nice when you get recognized for what you bring to the table... Especially at such a big company were I feel like sometimes that's hard to find.

Message 7 of 10
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Everybody is different and has a different situation. You have disclosed some of your financial picture but not all of it. I am assuming you have a relatively high income to make it so the bank feels comfortable that you can handle those credit lines. I would ask yourself if you really need all that credit or if you can just pay cash for some stuff. If you need more credit for work you could always get a business card. I agree with the people here that are saying that you don't wanna push your luck because like everyone else you do run the risk of them lowering your credit lines too at some point. And it may not be because of anything to do with you specifically, just that the bank changes strategy. If you have a balance on one of these cards that is a large dollar figure you may find your self in a situation where if you don't or can;t pay your card down quick that your util percentage goes up drastically and your credit score wiil take a real hit.

The concept of diversification applies here. By having so much credit with Bank of America you are essentially putting all your eggs in one basket. It would be safer if you want a bigger credit line to get one with another bank. Another bank looking at your credit report might give you a big credit line because they may  see your other big ones from BofA and figure if BofA did then they can. Kinda like attracting a beautiful woman cause she sees your ex was beautiful.

I guess what it comes down to is if you are not able to pay in full then you are putting yourself at more and more risk the higher a CL you push for and if you can pay in full at anytime then you need to ask yourself why you really need a credit card. Why not just pay cash for bigger ticket transacts. If the answer is that you wanna get the rewards just be aware that your risk is increasing wth you credit line requests and that risk at some point will make it not worth it to keep pushing. Good luck. I concur with the others. Count your blessings. It seems you have been really lucky and leave it be as is. Good luck.

ps to answer your question I think they would definately hardpull you and they may not like what they see and if you were given some special consideration by someone else in the bank the best way you can respect and pay back the person that got you the special consideration is to leave it alone. Pressing for more right now may make that person look bad or put pressure on them and thats not a good way to repay their kindness to you. Just my 2 cents. I wish you all the best.

Message 8 of 10
QueenofReinvention
Contributor

In a lot of banks and credit unions you can see everything that the customer has on account. I've worked at 2 credit unions and one bank. In each I started as a teller and moved to loans, and on both sides, I could see all accounts.

I had a customer whose wife had a household account that really didn't have a lot of money in it, but the husband did have a lot of money in HIS accounts and his business accounts, and after one teller placed a hold on a check into her account....it caused a great stink because the Branch manager told the teller she should have read the "inside notes" that said her account was linked to the husbands account, and NO checks on either of his accounts or hers should ever be placed on hold. So, with that being said, most information (if properly noted and READ by the analyst) can be seen. They want to make sure their "prime" customers are treated well, so they'll keep that money on deposit. This guy had in excess of a million dollars in this particular credit union I worked at, because he needed it to be liquid and not tied up in investments as he had multiple businesses that needed immediate cash injections at a moments notice. I got to know him really well...interesting character...I digress Smiley Happy

When I worked at the bank, I was flabbergasted by all of the people who had so much money (not in investments) in savings, money markets and cd's - I'm talking multi-millions of dollars.

Message 9 of 10
scottykhan
Contributor

The reason I applied for this card is because I am travelling outside the coutry for three weeks. So, I was talking to branch manager about foreign transaction fees on my existing BOA credit card accounts, so he gave me suggestion for this Merrill+ card and he did mention about very "good to excellent " credit for this card. But he also mentioned that I had a very strong payment history with the bank so i should be ok.  And I dont carry Balances on the accounts at all. My salary is directly depositing in my BOA accounts and hence credit analyst can easily see what's coming in and going out.  You guys are right that I'm kinda lucky in a sense with medicore scores and past baddies still showing i'm lucky to have these cards, but I think it's a two way thing.. I'm putting all the money in their accounts and in return I expect something good from them Smiley Happy  But I will take your advice I'm gonna garden until these baddies fall off next month.. Then I will certainly go for Chase and Citi. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.