Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do You Sign The Back of Your CC?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Do You Sign The Back of Your CC?

@Mattopotamus wrote:
Wouldn't this just give the "crook" your signature. Making it easier to commit fraud?

That's one school of thought, but I'm not willing to deal with the hassle at the few places who do actually check just to protect the card issuer.  They are responsible for any fraud, not me, and the signature "rule" is their's as well. 

Anyway, most 'crooks' would be able to simply avoid any place that is known for verifying the signature.  Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

your card isn't technically valid unless signed. see ID means nothing. i still don't sign it though. other than mall retailers no one cares.
Message 12 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't sign my cards but I hate when they ask me for ID. I don't know why. Isn't that why they made the chip? And if you sign the back, why they asking for ID. Takes time to go find the ID and I feel like some thief when they ask me.

What are the store policies. I don't like showing my ID. I know it is about safety but still, I don't want to show my ID

Message 13 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Mattopotamus wrote:
Wouldn't this just give the "crook" your signature. Making it easier to commit fraud?

That's one school of thought, but I'm not willing to deal with the hassle at the few places who do actually check just to protect the card issuer.  They are responsible for any fraud, not me, and the signature "rule" is their's as well

Anyway, most 'crooks' would be able to simply avoid any place that is known for verifying the signature.  Smiley Wink

It's not the retailer's rule, it's the CC companies rule.  You are required in the T&Cs of your card agreement to sign the card.

Message 14 of 92
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Mattopotamus wrote:

That's one school of thought, but I'm not willing to deal with the hassle at the few places who do actually check just to protect the card issuer.  They are responsible for any fraud, not me, and the signature "rule" is their's as well

It's not the retailer's rule, it's the CC companies rule.  You are required in the T&Cs of your card agreement to sign the card.

I think you mis-read my post... I was stating that the issuer was responsible for fraud as well as the "rule". 

We're in agreement.  Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Mattopotamus wrote:

I think you mis-read my post... I was stating that the issuer was responsible for fraud as well as the "rule". 

We're in agreement.  Smiley Wink

Yes I did.  My apologies

Message 16 of 92
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

Maybe if I had enough room on those damn strips to put my sig without it bleeding off the strip i might consider it.....or maybe not. 

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 17 of 92
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@jawbrkr wrote:

Maybe if I had enough room on those damn strips to put my sig without it bleeding off the strip i might consider it.....or maybe not. 

Yeah, I feel ya.

I have a Sharpie Ultra Fine Point marker I use to sign my cards; after a minute or two there's no smearing or running.  I'll agree that the signature quality is questionable, but as long as you give it the old "college try" nobody will care.  Smiley Wink

Using the Sharpie, I was even able to get a semblance of a signature on the back of my BCP (which has a tiny place to sign since the card is mostly clear).

I've had a few cards where the strip itself started to actually wear off (with the word 'void' showing through) so I had to order a replacement card.  Luckily my issuers have been able to do this without changing the numbers so far.  That being said, years ago I had to get an Amex replaced due to worn plastic and they did change the number slightly, so YMMV depending on the issuer.

Message 18 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is MC's official stance I found by doing a Google search on the issue. Visa has a similiar, if not the same, policy, and I know that most (major) banks actually use the signature on the back of your debit card as a form of signature verification for endorsements when processing transactions at the teller window.

Message 19 of 92
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:
The card says sign it so I sign it, no reason to get cute IMO.

+1 I always sign my cards. Yes, I think it's dumb but the rules say I'm supposed to so I do. I am a rule follower. Smiley Very Happy

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 20 of 92
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.