Do You Sign The Back of Your CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do You Sign The Back of Your CC?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Pretty sure i signed mine with a ball point pen today lol because thats all I had with me Smiley LOL The signature was awful and you could barely even see there was one there Cat LOL

Time to request for a replacement card😁

LOL!! Smiley Very Happy Me to CSR: I signed my card by accident, can you please send me a new card? 

I mean.... I would go with "magnetic strip doesn’t work" or "chip fell out" 🤓

Message 41 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Callandra wrote:

@Chris679 wrote:
The card says sign it so I sign it, no reason to get cute IMO.

+1 I always sign my cards. Yes, I think it's dumb but the rules say I'm supposed to so I do. I am a rule followerSmiley Very Happy

Not me, I'm a non-conformist, swim-against-the-stream, march to a different drummer kind of guy. Not in a criminal way but I tend to question (make that - SUSPECT!) the PEOPLE making the rules too much. I've never signed 'em and only been asked for ID a very few times and even then was not questioned about the back not being signed. There's already way too much of my personal info flying around out there (and being hacked at the merchant/banking levels) to offer them my signature to go ahead and stick the last fork in me.

Over the past several years I didn't worry about ID theft because I laughingly had nothing worth stealing but now that I'm back in the game and starting to get some better offers I am really concerned about it. Staff at restaurants are stealing CC numbers and selling them to cloners who make counterfeit CC's and it would be easy for them to shoot a pic of the back and offer the signature along with it.

Sometimes paranoid people really do have someone out to get them, ha, ha, ha!!!

Message 42 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Callandra wrote:

@Chris679 wrote:
The card says sign it so I sign it, no reason to get cute IMO.

+1 I always sign my cards. Yes, I think it's dumb but the rules say I'm supposed to so I do. I am a rule followerSmiley Very Happy

Not me, I'm a non-conformist, swim-against-the-stream, march to a different drummer kind of guy. Not in a criminal way but I tend to question (make that - SUSPECT!) the PEOPLE making the rules too much. I've never signed 'em and only been asked for ID a very few times and even then was not questioned about the back not being signed. There's already way too much of my personal info flying around out there (and being hacked at the merchant/banking levels) to offer them my signature to go ahead and stick the last fork in me.

Over the past several years I didn't worry about ID theft because I laughingly had nothing worth stealing but now that I'm back in the game and starting to get some better offers I am really concerned about it. Staff at restaurants are stealing CC numbers and selling them to cloners who make counterfeit CC's and it would be easy for them to shoot a pic of the back and offer the signature along with it.

Sometimes paranoid people really do have someone out to get them, ha, ha, ha!!!

+ >9000

Message 43 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

i don't! 'never been asked about it. 

Message 44 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nitrov wrote:

According to some stickler banks, if you put anything on that sig strip besides your signature, you're actually not complying with the terms & conditions on the card and the card "should not" be accepted anywhere. The whole "SEE ID" thing used to be pretty commonly, particularly before chips came out, but as cards start switching to chip & pin I'm sure that's going to really start disappearing. There are some retailers, like the US Post Office (of all people) who will not accept your credit card unless it's signed on the back. I have a BCE that's pretty much impossible to sign the back of, and I can never use it at the post office for that exact reason. Seems silly, but at the end of the day most vendors or retailers don't even look at cards anymore.

I think out of the 10 or so cards in my wallet maybe 2 are signed.

Before I improved enough to get multiple cards I had (1) CC signed on the back for that very reason.  The US Postal Service wouldn't process a transaction for me until I signed it.

Message 45 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

I signed the back of my daily card, but my card on SD is signatureless, as it doesn't leave the home and only gets used for a bill or another. My surname is two names, and they're not hyphenated, and so my signature is purposefully a bit unique and wouldn't be the expected. I reckon if a two-bit thief (not an intelligent one) tried to make a large purchase, I would have my signature as a way to prove that no, that signature wasn't mine.

I have to admit, though, that's a very specific case, and signatures provide little-to-no protection nowadays.
Message 46 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I haven't signed mine yet. I intend to but I continue to forget to buy a fine point sharpie in order to do so.

+1

I think that's probably the best use of the ultra fine point sharpie! 

I keep one for just that purpose.  Smiley Very Happy

I got one and that is the only reason I have it...to sign my cards. It does work well on the BCP because of the size of the signature panel.

That being said, I sign all my cards because that is what the issuer wants. I reported a lost card once and one of the questions was "Was your card signed on the back with your legal signature?"

Message 47 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

maybe i get lucky but i have mailed out numerous things from a TWD group on fb i run and i have NEVER been asked to show my ID when swiping at USPS or UPS
Message 48 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

Naw! No one ever checks so I don't see the point... Smiley Happy

Message 49 of 92
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

What is the fear about someone copying your signature from the card?  i.e. give a scenario where this would matter.

My assumption being that if it really was used in a significant transaction (or signed confession or whatever), a forensic examination would quickly prove it wasn't yours.  Yes, you wouldn't want to go through the time and expense, but the same scenario applies with them making up any signature

Message 50 of 92
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.