Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do airline cards have protections?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do airline cards have protections?

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I feel I need to ask.

I have a few regular credit cards that offer Travel Delay protections (if your flight is delayed overnight or cancelled last minute they'll reimburse for a hotel, food, etc.)

Just wondering if airline credit cards offer this feature as well?

Specifically looking at:

SouthWest Rapid Rewards
Sun Country Visa
As well as other domestic airlines
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Do airline cards have protections?

I think the American Airlines and United Airlines cards are the only two airline cards that offer the coverage.  If you google "Trip Delay Reimbursement and the Credit Cards that Offer It" you will find a nice article on this topic by The Points Guy.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

According to the most recent benefits guides I could find (which may not be up-to-date):

Citi AA Executive delay coverage kicks in after 3 hours.

Citi AA Platinum takes 12 hours.

United Club takes 12 hours.

No card is the best at everything when it comes to travel insurance. Any decent coverage involves getting an AF card. Some Citi benefits (like delay protection) on Prestige kick in more quickly than corresponding Chase ones do on CSR, increasing the frequency they'll prove useful. Other Citi benefits (like cancellation and interruption protection) aren't very useful when using miles.

Personally, I use Prestige.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies. Hmm, so it's probably best to use a regular card that offers the protection rather than get an airline card without that protection I'm thinking.

Currently have Chase Ink Preffered and CSP which both offer overnight delay/cancellation insurance.
Message 4 of 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Hmm, so it's probably best to use a regular card that offers the protection rather than get an airline card without that protection I'm thinking.

Currently have Chase Ink Preffered and CSP which both offer overnight delay/cancellation insurance.

Keep in mind that with United, the fine print says (and I believe it's enforced) that you have to use the card to pay for a ticket to get the free checked bag benefit. Most cards don't require that.

Also, if you're close to reaching elite status, then elite-qualifying miles from heavy use of an airline card may be useful.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.