cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do bank reps recon, or do they call for your recon??

tag
quest208
Frequent Contributor

Do bank reps recon, or do they call for your recon??

Back in 2009/2010 i had a chase checking account. When i opened that checking account the nice lady that opened my account at the bank gave me her card and siad that from then on she will be my personal banker/rep.... (Or somethong or another)

Anyway, at the time i remember she asked me if i wanted to open a credit card and i said no.

My question is: do those bank reps that initiate a credit card app at the bank do they have the abilify to reconsoder a denial? Or must each reconsideration go through a supervisor/underwriter/manager??
I ask bevause although people sometimes say negative about the "big banks", she was realy great in handling my account and whenever i had minor issues she made them disappear. And my cash available balances were usually below 1,000, im not high networth.

Im considering going back and opening my checkimg accoumt with her and asking for a credit card app...

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
learnin113
Established Contributor

Re: Do bank reps recon, or do they call for your recon??

With those scores you could easily app on your own.
Message 2 of 5
quest208
Frequent Contributor

im still curious if a bank rep is like a CSR who has a say in whether to reconsider...or whether they have to call someone else to get the reconsideration.

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 3 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

no the big banks don't give power to a personal banker.... possible you could find a little more power in a small town credit union

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately she wouldn't have any power. Credit card decisions always either go through an automated system (at which point they don't need to do anything anyway), or through the lending department. If it goes through the lending department, it's going to be a credit analyst/underwriter that makes the decision on the app, not a personal banker. So there's really nothing she'd be able to do in your favor.

The only thing I can think of is if she (or any other banker) contacts the bank's underwriting department and speaks to someone there, the underwriter MIGHT be slightly more inclined to turn a denial into an approval. But I really wouldn't count on it.

So the short answer is no, they're not going to make it any easier for you to get a credit card approved.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.