Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do big banks prefer Visa over MasterCard? UPDATED

tag
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will MasterCard be obsolete soon?

Hello everyone.  Reading through this thread and while I do love a good debate, I would rather it be an intellectual and informative one.  This one is for the most part, however I do sense a slight change in tone.  I want to remind everybod to please play nicely.  Thank you

Shogun,   myFICO moderator

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 21 of 39
RonDawg
Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Hello everyone.  Reading through this thread and while I do love a good debate, I would rather it be an intellectual and informative one.  This one is for the most part, however I do sense a slight change in tone.  I want to remind everybod to please play nicely.  Thank you

TY kind of saw that coming thats why I did a bow out.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 22 of 39
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

This post is just to correct once again what this poster stated. The fact is most Big Banks in the US have switched to VISA that is why the US market share is larger than MasterCard. In addition, this poster is quite ironic by attempting to take the "high road" yet references another adult as a kid. Irony!

I know that I said that I wouldn't respond, but I feel that it is necessary to explain myself really quickly. I do not want to sit here and argue with you and have the insults continue. I will just clarify my thoughts really quick, completely in peace and hopefully, we can burry the proverbial hatchet.

1. Showing that Visa has more market share currently does not show that most big banks in the US have switched to Visa. You must first show that MasterCard had more market share than Visa in the past, and now Visa has surpassed MasterCard in market share. Even if one showed this, it would only be the first premise of your argument. We both agreed that banks offer both options, and an earlier poster stated that Visa has better deals often times, so it would come down to the customer's choice of whether they want a MasterCard or a Visa -- regardless of the big banks in the US' preference. So Visa having more market share could just as easily be because they have always more market share than MC; or it could be that customers prefer Visa's perks; or it could be that banks have switched like you suggest; or it could be something else. It could also be some sort of combination of several of these items. In my personal experience, the opposite has happened, meaning my two banks issued me debit cards with the MC logo on them, and they issue several MC brands of credit cards. Again, I understand that this does not mean that the rest of the country is experiencing the same thing. Also, it could be the case that Visa used to have 80% of the market share and MasterCard is catching up, and is now within 20% of Visa -- who knows? This is why your claim grabbed my attention -- it probably has to do with the fact that I am studying the subject of logic very thoroughly right now, so I apologize if I was overbearing.

2. As for the irony that you speak of -- I am sorry that I assumed that you were a kid. I figured that it was likely that you were under twenty years old because it seemed to me that it was the nature of a youngster to come on here arguing and insulting people the way that you were. Now that you have corrected me as to your adult status, I humbly apologize for the "kid" remark. I think that about covers it from my point of view, hopefully we can move forward in a respectable manor. I respect you and your point of view and I leave open the possibility that mine is wrong -- and I will be the first one to admit that I am wrong and adopt the right point of view in light of evidence that shows that being the case.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 23 of 39
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@RonDawg wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

TY kind of saw that coming thats why I did a bow out.

+1

Message 24 of 39
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

This post is just to correct once again what this poster stated. The fact is most Big Banks in the US have switched to VISA that is why the US market share is larger than MasterCard. In addition, this poster is quite ironic by attempting to take the "high road" yet references another adult as a kid. Irony!

I know that I said that I wouldn't respond, but I feel that it is necessary to explain myself really quickly. I do not want to sit here and argue with you and have the insults continue. I will just clarify my thoughts really quick, completely in peace and hopefully, we can burry the proverbial hatchet.

1. Showing that Visa has more market share currently does not show that most big banks in the US have switched to Visa. You must first show that MasterCard had more market share than Visa in the past, and now Visa has surpassed MasterCard in market share. Even if one showed this, it would only be the first premise of your argument. We both agreed that banks offer both options, and an earlier poster stated that Visa has better deals often times, so it would come down to the customer's choice of whether they want a MasterCard or a Visa -- regardless of the big banks in the US' preference. So Visa having more market share could just as easily be because they have always more market share than MC; or it could be that customers prefer Visa's perks; or it could be that banks have switched like you suggest; or it could be something else. It could also be some sort of combination of several of these items. In my personal experience, the opposite has happened, meaning my two banks issued me debit cards with the MC logo on them, and they issue several MC brands of credit cards. Again, I understand that this does not mean that the rest of the country is experiencing the same thing. Also, it could be the case that Visa used to have 80% of the market share and MasterCard is catching up, and is now within 20% of Visa -- who knows? This is why your claim grabbed my attention -- it probably has to do with the fact that I am studying the subject of logic very thoroughly right now, so I apologize if I was overbearing.

2. As for the irony that you speak of -- I am sorry that I assumed that you were a kid. I figured that it was likely that you were under twenty years old because it seemed to me that it was the nature of a youngster to come on here arguing and insulting people the way that you were. Now that you have corrected me as to your adult status, I humbly apologize for the "kid" remark. I think that about covers it from my point of view, hopefully we can move forward in a respectable manor. I respect you and your point of view and I leave open the possibility that mine is wrong -- and I will be the first one to admit that I am wrong and adopt the right point of view in light of evidence that shows that being the case.

Thank you. If I offended you, or anyone else for that matter, I also regret that. I'm currently studying law so I often assume that others already have the implicit understanding of where a topic will end up. In many ways that is why I like debating and creating a provocative topic. 

Message 25 of 39
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Never studied law, all my debating I learned while trying to get a bigger monthly allowance from the DW.  Not working out well, I've been married 21 years and she still has all my money.  I broke the cardinal rule of marriage, "Never marry a woman smarter than you".  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 26 of 39
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Never studied law, all my debating I learned while trying to get a bigger monthly allowance from the DW.  Not working out well, I've been married 21 years and she still has all my money.  I broke the cardinal rule of marriage, "Never marry a woman smarter than you".  Smiley Happy

Hahaha. I don't think you need debating as it seems you lost the war Smiley Tongue The best thing you can do is now negotiate for table scraps (and peaceful surrender) Smiley Very Happy

Message 27 of 39
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Argumentation and debate is also one of my favorite pastimes. My school offers a concurrent Philosophy PhD and JD program that I was heavily considering joining. Most people that know me personally tell me that I should be a lawyer because I love arguing so much. I even spent some time on the debate team before coming to UCLA. In the end I decided that I was too old (33) to finish law school and work my way up the ladder in a corporate firm until I could be a litigator. I decided to go for the concurrent philosophy PhD and MBA program instead. Anyway, good luck in your studies and I am sure I will see you around the boards.

Swap

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 28 of 39
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Re: Do big banks prefer Visa over MasterCard? UPDATED

@CC365 wrote:

I've noticed lately that almost all of the credit cards are VISA (atleast in the US). If you look at Chase's website only a few show a MasterCard logo. The same goes for Bank of America and Citi. I know some cards like the Freedom and Slate come in both versions but they either show a VISA logo or none at all. Even debit cards are mostly VISA. Has anyone noticed this or have an explanation as to why? 

Edit: I've revised the title for those that need clarrification... 

I agree with the OP, it seems like Visa's are more commonly issued than MasterCard's.

Message 29 of 39
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Re: Do big banks prefer Visa over MasterCard? UPDATED

I haven't read the topic (and I'm not going to slog through it) but I had to say:  How could you guys possibly argue about this subject?  It seems especially dry as topics go. Smiley Wink

Remind me not to attned the myFico holiday party.  You people might not be very fun to be around after a couple of drinks! Smiley Happy