Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do big banks prefer Visa over MasterCard? UPDATED

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: Do big banks prefer Visa over MasterCard? UPDATED

welp if it makes you guys feel better. my main bank only offers mastercard cc. its based out of ri and in new england. 

has visa debit cards though. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 31 of 39
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@ChesterPDexter wrote:

I haven't read the topic (and I'm not going to slog through it) but I had to say:  How could you guys possibly argue about this subject?  It seems especially dry as topics go. Smiley Wink

Remind me not to attned the myFico holiday party.  You people might not be very fun to be around after a couple of drinks! Smiley Happy

Well, when it started, the thread was originally entitled "Will MasterCard be obsolete soon?"  and if THAT doesn't send your pulse racing, I don't know what will.

And I don't know about the others, but after a few drinks, well, one really, I can get really interesting when I talk about projections of quasi-soft-pulls on FIA cards in the south-western part of the Mid West states in late Q3 2013.

Message 32 of 39
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Visa interchange fees are higher, so that means more money for the bank. They are also more expensive to partner with, and many small banks or credit unions would not be able to afford the price.

Message 33 of 39
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

This seems to move in cycles and may also be geographically based.  I remember asking a similar question a couple years ago.  Seemed like everything I was offered was a MC as my credit was improving.  I was wondering if for some reason their were lower approval standards for cards on MC's network, which made no sense.  Where I was seeing mostly MC, other posters were seeing the opposite.  I'm sure banks are constantly in negotiations with MC and Visa for specific products, service areas, etc.  I wouldn't make too much of this apparent trend.   

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 34 of 39
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

This seems to move in cycles and may also be geographically based.  I remember asking a similar question a couple years ago.  Seemed like everything I was offered was a MC as my credit was improving.  I was wondering if for some reason their were lower approval standards for cards on MC's network, which made no sense.  Where I was seeing mostly MC, other posters were seeing the opposite.  I'm sure banks are constantly in negotiations with MC and Visa for specific products, service areas, etc.  I wouldn't make too much of this apparent trend.   

Agree with Walt.  When the bank's contract expires with Visa/MC for debit or credit cards, they owe it to their shareholders to at least consider the options from the rivals.  Sometimes, the benefits make it worth the change.  My local bank just went through the change from Mastercard to Visa.  I'm sure regional factors are taken into account when negotiating interchange fees and such, and so therefore certain regions may have more of one type of card than the other.  And this may change over time as each payment network expands their territory or changes their business model.  But at the end of the day, what does it really matter inside the U.S.? - their acceptance is virtually interchangeable.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 35 of 39
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@CC365 wrote:

I've noticed lately that almost all of the credit cards are VISA (atleast in the US). If you look at Chase's website only a few show a MasterCard logo. The same goes for Bank of America and Citi. I know some cards like the Freedom and Slate come in both versions but they either show a VISA logo or none at all. Even debit cards are mostly VISA. Has anyone noticed this or have an explanation as to why? 

Edit: I've revised the title for those that need clarrification... 

I didn't read this whole thread but I have noticed this too.   More Visa than MC versions of CCs are offered =/  I much prefer MC over Visa.

To your point about BoA mostly offering Visa...BoA actually created Visa.  Visa was the first CC and BoA created it. 

IIRC, Visa started out called AmeriCard (funny since now I think that BoA has now since revived that name).  And at the time when Visa (AmeriCard) was created, there were laws on the books preventing interstate credit.  Visa (AmeriCard) was only a Califorina card.  

So, Visa (AmeriCard) become a co-op/leased rights and other banks joined in  and the birth of Visa happened.  BoA started Visa and other old banks joined the network.  Citi may have been in since the begining...but I can't remember.

Anyways my point is that BoA created Visa and so logically BoA would still primarilly be issuing Visa.

Message 36 of 39
djrez4
Established Contributor

Re: Will MasterCard be obsolete soon?

@CC365 wrote:

Thank you. If I offended you, or anyone else for that matter, I also regret that. I'm currently studying law so I often assume that others already have the implicit understanding of where a topic will end up. In many ways that is why I like debating and creating a provocative topic. 

I was like you once.  You'll calm down with a few years of practice under your belt.  Smiley Wink

Message 37 of 39
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will MasterCard be obsolete soon?

@CC365 wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

Never studied law, all my debating I learned while trying to get a bigger monthly allowance from the DW.  Not working out well, I've been married 21 years and she still has all my money.  I broke the cardinal rule of marriage, "Never marry a woman smarter than you".  Smiley Happy

Hahaha. I don't think you need debating as it seems you lost the war Smiley Tongue The best thing you can do is now negotiate for table scraps (and peaceful surrender) Smiley Very Happy

ROFL the philosophical question is: did he really lose? What is a loss? How does one identify with losing? Why does Shogun seem so happy to "lose" In marriage a loss = total win Smiley Wink
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 38 of 39
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

This entire thread was a good read, Lots of laughs here.

I just love the fight and apologies that follow haha

Oh btw, I have like 10 visa, 1 discover, 2 Amex and 0 mc
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.