Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 346
Registered: ‎02-01-2012
0

Do big banks prefer Visa over MasterCard? UPDATED

[ Edited ]

I've noticed lately that almost all of the credit cards are VISA (atleast in the US). If you look at Chase's website only a few show a MasterCard logo. The same goes for Bank of America and Citi. I know some cards like the Freedom and Slate come in both versions but they either show a VISA logo or none at all. Even debit cards are mostly VISA. Has anyone noticed this or have an explanation as to why? 

 

Edit: I've revised the title for those that need clarrification... 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,512
Registered: ‎11-11-2010
0

Re: Will MasterCard be obsolete soon?


CC365 wrote:

I've noticed lately that almost all of the credit cards are VISA (atleast in the US). If you look at Chase's website only a few show a MasterCard logo. The same goes for Bank of America and Citi. I know some cards like the Freedom and Slate come in both versions but they either show a VISA logo or none at all. Even debit cards are mostly VISA. Has anyone noticed this or have an explanation as to why? 


MasterCard (MC) is not going to be obsolete. MC has larger international acceptance and market share than Visa. A lot of credit union issue MC for their cards. Chase issues MC for its business CC.

 

In fact in Canada some small business don't take Visa but do take MC.

 

By your logic, AMEX and Discover are going to be obsolete because very little people issue them? Truth is AMEX and Discover are growing strong as well.

In My Wallet:
Citi Forward (12/2010) | Citi Dividend (05/2011) | Chase Freedom (11/2011) | GECRB/PayPal (05/2012)
Discover it (07/2012) | AMEX BCP (09/2012) | TD/Target REDCard (10/2012) | Chase Ink Classic (11/2012)
BofA BBR (04/2013) | FNBO/Overstock.com (02/2014) | Barclaycard Arrival (04/2014) | FIA/Fidelity AMEX (04/2014)
Contributor
Posts: 322
Registered: ‎10-19-2012
0

Re: Will MasterCard be obsolete soon?

[ Edited ]

trumpet-205 wrote:

CC365 wrote:

I've noticed lately that almost all of the credit cards are VISA (atleast in the US). If you look at Chase's website only a few show a MasterCard logo. The same goes for Bank of America and Citi. I know some cards like the Freedom and Slate come in both versions but they either show a VISA logo or none at all. Even debit cards are mostly VISA. Has anyone noticed this or have an explanation as to why? 


MasterCard (MC) is not going to be obsolete. MC has larger international acceptance and market share than Visa. A lot of credit union issue MC for their cards. Chase issues MC for its business CC.

 

In fact in Canada some small business don't take Visa but do take MC.

 

By your logic, AMEX and Discover are going to be obsolete because very little people issue them? Truth is AMEX and Discover are growing strong as well.


 

Wow kind of harsh a simple... "In my opinion" would have done fine. That is since you actually didn't state any facts at all only your own opinions though for the most part I would agree with you. 

 

Sorry I just felt I had to reply to this one. 

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Established Contributor
Posts: 1,040
Registered: ‎02-27-2012
0

Re: Will MasterCard be obsolete soon?

Actually in Europe, MasterCard has a higher acceptance rate.

Also, World MasterCard and World Elite MasterCard has cool double circle emblems on their cards Smiley Wink
AMEX: $0/$25,000, CSP: $0/$6500, Chase Priority Club: $0/$3500, Freedom: $0/$6000, Barclays NFL: $0/$7000 Discover: $0/$14,000, Citi Dividend: $0/$3500

EQ FICO - 728
TU FICO - 743
EX FICO(AMEX) - 712
Contributor
Posts: 322
Registered: ‎10-19-2012
0

Re: Will MasterCard be obsolete soon?


SwiftTone wrote:
Actually in Europe, MasterCard has a higher acceptance rate.

Also, World MasterCard and World Elite MasterCard has cool double circle emblems on their cards Smiley Wink

Interesting way of looking at it. Come to think of it in my opinion the emblem for the World Elite MC does look cool Smiley Happy

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,512
Registered: ‎11-11-2010
0

Re: Will MasterCard be obsolete soon?


RonDawg wrote:

Wow kind of harsh a simple... "In my opinion" would have done fine. That is since you actually didn't state any facts at all only your own opinions though for the most part I would agree with you.  


It is not harsh, it is the fact. I merely pointed out the flaw of OP's argument.

 

In My Wallet:
Citi Forward (12/2010) | Citi Dividend (05/2011) | Chase Freedom (11/2011) | GECRB/PayPal (05/2012)
Discover it (07/2012) | AMEX BCP (09/2012) | TD/Target REDCard (10/2012) | Chase Ink Classic (11/2012)
BofA BBR (04/2013) | FNBO/Overstock.com (02/2014) | Barclaycard Arrival (04/2014) | FIA/Fidelity AMEX (04/2014)
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 346
Registered: ‎02-01-2012
0

Re: Will MasterCard be obsolete soon?

[ Edited ]

trumpet-205 wrote:

CC365 wrote:

I've noticed lately that almost all of the credit cards are VISA (atleast in the US). If you look at Chase's website only a few show a MasterCard logo. The same goes for Bank of America and Citi. I know some cards like the Freedom and Slate come in both versions but they either show a VISA logo or none at all. Even debit cards are mostly VISA. Has anyone noticed this or have an explanation as to why? 


MasterCard (MC) is not going to be obsolete. MC has larger international acceptance and market share than Visa. A lot of credit union issue MC for their cards. Chase issues MC for its business CC.

 

In fact in Canada some small business don't take Visa but do take MC.

 

By your logic, AMEX and Discover are going to be obsolete because very little people issue them? Truth is AMEX and Discover are growing strong as well.


Perhaps you missed the main point... also I said "atleast in the US" ...perhaps reading the entire post is better than assuming you understand the entire post. Also I don't mean obsolete as going out of business but rather less common in the U.S. It seems as if the big banks aren't pushing MasterCard as a primary issuer. American Express and Discover have been increasing ever since they opened it up to other banks. Now GE supports Discover, AMEX has Bank of America, USAA, and so on. Also they have the reputation of being more conservative and isolated from VISA/MasterCard. My point was that now people often have to request a MasterCard edition for them to be sent. When you look at the MasterCard website they don't display any student cards, etc. 

 

I hope this link is allowed. MasterCard said to Lose Users

Established Contributor
Posts: 1,040
Registered: ‎02-27-2012
0

Re: Will MasterCard be obsolete soon?

Actually I believe World and World Elite mastercards have the same double silver logo? Just the wording outside the logo is different.
AMEX: $0/$25,000, CSP: $0/$6500, Chase Priority Club: $0/$3500, Freedom: $0/$6000, Barclays NFL: $0/$7000 Discover: $0/$14,000, Citi Dividend: $0/$3500

EQ FICO - 728
TU FICO - 743
EX FICO(AMEX) - 712
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,512
Registered: ‎11-11-2010
0

Re: Will MasterCard be obsolete soon?

Banks can advertise whichever payment network they want. If bank A feels Visa has more favorable term they will push for it. If bank B feels MC can generate more profit they will issue it. It all comes down to each particular bank.

In My Wallet:
Citi Forward (12/2010) | Citi Dividend (05/2011) | Chase Freedom (11/2011) | GECRB/PayPal (05/2012)
Discover it (07/2012) | AMEX BCP (09/2012) | TD/Target REDCard (10/2012) | Chase Ink Classic (11/2012)
BofA BBR (04/2013) | FNBO/Overstock.com (02/2014) | Barclaycard Arrival (04/2014) | FIA/Fidelity AMEX (04/2014)
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 346
Registered: ‎02-01-2012
0

Re: Will MasterCard be obsolete soon?

[ Edited ]

trumpet-205 wrote:

Banks can advertise whichever payment network they want. If bank A feels Visa has more favorable term they will push for it. If bank B feels MC can generate more profit they will issue it. It all comes down to each particular bank.


Again...that is part of the point. It seems as if most big box/generic banks in the US feel they get better terms with VISA. Therefore, MaterCard doesn't really push for the US market as much as they would overseas. 

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.