Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do cards with AF close for inactivity?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do cards with AF close for inactivity?

So I have an Amex Platinum that I almost never actually use I just have it for the benefits. is it possible to get an account like this closed for inactivity. How about other cards with annual fees?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Mattopotamus
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do cards with AF close for inactivity?

I would be curious about this.  AFAIK, cards with annual fees will not close.  If they do close, the lenders are insane.  That really is free money.

Message 2 of 5
Appleman
Valued Contributor

And given some of the current AMEX financial struggles they NEED your $450 AF. Of course they would love for you to use it so they could get the swipe fee too but I am sure they are happy to have you as their customer. 

You are at least using it once a year when they bill the AF.

Message 3 of 5
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

I suspect it could happen but is less likely to. Just my speculation though. Personally, if it's important to you that it doesn't happen, I'd advise just making a small charge every month or so to be certain. Better safe than sorry and all that.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kevin86475391 wrote:

I suspect it could happen but is less likely to. Just my speculation though. Personally, if it's important to you that it doesn't happen, I'd advise just making a small charge every month or so to be certain. Better safe than sorry and all that.

+1

The letter of the law answer is OF COURSE it could happen, the same way a lender could cut a CL of an account that doesn't seem to use it anyway (as we saw a lot in 2008-09....when vendors were cutting their liabilities and shuffling their internal books).

So again Yes, they 'could' knock off some cobb webs, thru no fault of your own and really no malice on their part....it could be thought of the same as you doing spring cleaning at home, just tidying up un-used 'wasted' resources....but in practice, doesn't happen 'that' often

@I agree with @Anonymous...whip it out every so often to pay for gas or a sweater or some household bill you have to pay ANYWAY and let the card get some use, sort of like taking that old car in the garage to church every now and again, give her some use let the engine warm up....you don't have to CREATE stuff to buy or go into to 'debt' for the card to get a bit of wear n tear...there are PLENTY of things you 'could' allow to just flow thru the card, allow it to cycle on a statement, so it doesn't appear dead.

Then cut your payment, no % due, no harm no foul everybody is happy, the dust doesn't pile up so much on the card everybody wins

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.