cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do closed accounts remain for 10 years on AU credit reports?

tag
fast_times

Do closed accounts remain for 10 years on AU credit reports?

I was wondering what happens if I'm on an account as an AU and it gets closed?  Does the trade line disappear, or will it show for 10 years like it would if I was the primary account holder?  Both my very long-standing AU accounts are due to be closed in the next couple of months, and if they are going to disappear from my reports, I'm probably going to try for one or two more cards right before that happens.

FICO mid 770's
CapOne Quicksilver ($750) - Chase Freedom ($3500)
CitiBank Dividend ($6000) - AmEx Blue Cash Everyday ($9600)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: Do closed accounts remain for 10 years on AU credit reports?

Once you are no longer an authorized user on the account, the bureau should stop reporting new information associated with that account. Previous information about the account may or may not remain on your report, however, since issuers' and credit bureaus' policies vary on how old information is handled once you're no longer associated with the account. Some bureaus may remove all mention of the account from your credit report, while others will leave old data on and just stop reporting new info to it. For more information on their policies, you'll need to contact your card issuer and the credit bureaus.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

Re: Do closed accounts remain for 10 years on AU credit reports?

You can also see this link:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/td-p/347190

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.