cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do creditors look at Student Loans negatively?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do creditors look at Student Loans negatively?

So my credit report is looking good, 0% utilization, 1yr and 8 months longest tradeline, no lates/deliq., 1 inq. but only 1 CC(HSBC/bbuy 700CL). 

Only thing that I can see as a negative is my deferred Student Loans which I opened up not too long ago around 5k.

But it killed my AAOA to 6 months.

So my question is, will creditors look at my Student loans in a negative manner and use it to decline me for a CC app? 

Last question, what do you guys think of my odds of getting approved for Citi Forward? Good/bad? 

p.s (692 TU Fako)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do creditors look at Student Loans negatively?

Actually, what they might look at as "negatives" include your AAoA being too short (can't get around it unless you get added on some older accounts as an AU), you have no utilization as opposed to reporting 1-9%, and the fact that you only have one credit card. 

ImageImageImage

Message 2 of 6
MagicShot
Contributor

Do non revolving Credit accounts such as student loans count towards your AAoA?

Message 3 of 6
DI
Super Contributor

Students loans makes up part of the mixture of credit one should achieve.  Oweing too much in student loans may become a problem for some underwriters, but overall they're not a problem. 

Message 4 of 6
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

I have about 8 or 9 loans totaling around $22k and I'm still in school. I opened a USAA World Mastercard, BoA Amex, and Delta Amex all in the past year with all of those unpaid on my CR. Didn't seem to have any effect except for to diversify what's on my CR and murder my AAoA by opening a new one every 6 months

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@MagicShot wrote:

Do non revolving Credit accounts such as student loans count towards your AAoA?

Your AAoA is the sum of the ages of every account (except CA collections and public records) on your report, whether open or closed, calculated in months, divided by the number of accounts and then divided by 12. I use the division by 12 to make it easier to convert into years. This is measured from the time each account was opened until present.

You’ll need to figure the age of each account, open or closed, on each report. If all three reports are identical (very unlikely), you're in luck; otherwise, you'll need to run this for each report.

So yes SL's are part of your AAoA.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.