cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do customers really move to other places if Amex can't be used?

tag
dalleanne
New Contributor

Re: Do customers really move to other places if Amex can't be used?

I only carry my Amex BCE and rarely ever deal with cash these days. The coffee shop at my work doesn't take Amex so I only stop by if I happen to have a couple of dollars or a gift certificate on me.

When I'm at mom and pop stores (nail salons especially), I always look for the AMEX sign on the door and I have had to walk out on a business a few times before I got in the habit. I have seen customers throw a fit, "you don't take American Express?!!?" But it's rare to encounter a well-known establishment that doesn't take Amex and it isn't the end of the world when it does happen.

Message 11 of 71
Radek7752
Contributor

@w20031424 wrote:

Some places don't accept Amex due to high transaction fees and charge back. So my question is.. Do people really move their business elseswhere or they simply charge the transaction to their Visa/Mastercard ?

Although I only use my AmEx for groceries and gas, I am wary of places that do not accept American Express (there are obvious exceptions, however). It's just a personal preference of mine to shop at places that give me the freedom to pay however I want to and don't mind a slightly higher swipe fee. That being said, I could count with the fingers on one hand how many places I have been to in the past 5 years that do not take American Express. It is widely accepted - even at places that are frequented by customers that would not have one. I do remember that Racetrack gas stations here don't take them.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 12 of 71
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Most places around here don't take Amex, perhaps 80% or more. The only places that do are supermarkets, gas stations, large department stores and international chains (McDonalds, etc.). I end up using Visa/MC because if I go somewhere else, odds are they won't take Amex either.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 13 of 71
ComputerWizMaster
New Contributor

@w20031424 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Nowadays most places do take amex/discover. Some mom and pop shops don't, but I think the population of those who don't is sort of dwindling. 

My schools doesn't accept Amex for tuition payment citing high fees.  Too bad I can't use my Fidelity 2%.

Is that true anymore? Amex having high swipe fees...

I mean you look at a payment processor like Square and they charge the same swipe fee across the board...

Feb. 2012: TU: 677 EQ: 647 EX: 666
Aug. 2013: TU: 729 EQ: 726 EX: 697
Goal 2013+: 720+ All Three
Message 14 of 71
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@ComputerWizMaster wrote:

Is that true anymore? Amex having high swipe fees...

I mean you look at a payment processor like Square and they charge the same swipe fee across the board...

I don't know how they do that, but yes their fees are still higher.

I think it's a bit silly to walk out on a place just because they do not take American Express. By the time you leave and go somewhere else, you would have the item you wanted and been back home.

Message 15 of 71
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

The hair salon I frequent is a small business that doesn't take Amex. I like my stylist and she does a good job. I just use my Visa, no big deal. I care far more about the service that I receive than about the payment method, especially when I have an easy option readily available.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 16 of 71
Ailee92

@tinuviel wrote:

The hair salon I frequent is a small business that doesn't take Amex. I like my stylist and she does a good job. I just use my Visa, no big deal. I care far more about the service that I receive than about the payment method, especially when I have an easy option readily available.

^ this if the service is worth it then who cares, but if it's something that you can find anywhere then that's fine, but luckily my main card is Visa/Mastercards

Message 17 of 71
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:
Most places around here don't take Amex, perhaps 80% or more. The only places that do are supermarkets, gas stations, large department stores and international chains (McDonalds, etc.). I end up using Visa/MC because if I go somewhere else, odds are they won't take Amex either.

Same here and I'm in a large city. I'm noticing more and more places not taking Amex. My favorite grocery store (small chain) does not accept it. I'm okay with that because they have the best produce and meat at the best prices so I don't shop anywhere else any more. Even the BCP would not be worth it for me because the places that take Amex charge far higher prices than what I would get in rewards.

Message 18 of 71
android01
Valued Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

Bingo!  I've never really understood why people discriminate so.  Who cares if AMEX or Discover is not accepted?  My guess is that most of us have a Visa or MC we could use? A lot of small businesses don't even take checks anymore.  The payment method is the last thing on my mind when I'm buying some goods or services.  If I get what I want or need, then it doesn't matter how its paid for.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 19 of 71
Radek7752
Contributor

@BlueNightStar wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Same here and I'm in a large city. I'm noticing more and more places not taking Amex. My favorite grocery store (small chain) does not accept it. I'm okay with that because they have the best produce and meat at the best prices so I don't shop anywhere else any more. Even the BCP would not be worth it for me because the places that take Amex charge far higher prices than what I would get in rewards.

That's quite interesting. I have lived in large cities, small cities, and college towns and almost everywhere took AmEx. Even the car dealerships will take AmEx cards up to a certain amount. What I think is kinda funny is that the vending machines here at the University of Florida even take American Express. I guess it just boils down to location.

When I vacationed in the Bahamas last year, a lot of the small vendors also offered to process AmEx.

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 20 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.