cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do customers really move to other places if Amex can't be used?

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Do customers really move to other places if Amex can't be used?

@android01 wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

The hair salon I frequent is a small business that doesn't take Amex. I like my stylist and she does a good job. I just use my Visa, no big deal. I care far more about the service that I receive than about the payment method, especially when I have an easy option readily available.

Bingo!  I've never really understood why people discriminate so.  Who cares if AMEX or Discover is not accepted?  My guess is that most of us have a Visa or MC we could use? A lot of small businesses don't even take checks anymore.  The payment method is the last thing on my mind when I'm buying some goods or services.  If I get what I want or need, then it doesn't matter how its paid for.  

My opinion on the whole thing is, people think amex is "exclusive" and like to pay for stuff with it as often as possible to look "cool." When a place doesn't accept amex, I feel like many people would get upset and be like "why don't you accept amex" so that they can get angry and let everyone in the store know that they have an amex, and are therefore better than everyone else. Smiley Tongue 

I grew up in boca raton, and this would happen a lot Smiley Very Happy 

Message 31 of 71
cottoncrown
Frequent Contributor

In my experience its the small "cheapskate" businesses that don't accept them. Like grocery outlet or the type of little market that tries to charge a fee to use visa/mc. Or the places that have a hand written sign that says "no debit for under $5".
Message 32 of 71
Open123
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

3. I would not switch to a less favorable store/restaurant just because it gives me a little bit less credit card rewards. Examples where the switch makes sense are welcome here as well. 

The only example I could think of here is when I'm booking a business function.  

Since I'm assuming most attending will be there for the "free culinary" experience and wouldn't be as discerning, I'd mind as well find an establishment that accepts a form of payment most rewarding, less obtrusive for accounting and the easiest to track (Amex allows for uploading of receipts under the corresponding charge).  For all three, I know of no issuer better than Amex.

For instance, I want to pay for a dining function at a steakhouse.  If Ruth's Chris didn't accept Amex (they do, but let's pretend they don't) while Morton's did, I'd have the event at Morton's, even though I prefer Ruth's Chris crabcakses and "sizzling butter on metal plates" experience.

Message 33 of 71
HiLine
Blogger

@Open123 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

3. I would not switch to a less favorable store/restaurant just because it gives me a little bit less credit card rewards. Examples where the switch makes sense are welcome here as well. 

The only example I could think of here is when I'm booking a business function.  

Since I'm assuming most attending will be there for the "free culinary" experience and wouldn't be as discerning, I'd mind as well find an establishment that accepts a form of payment most rewarding, less obtrusive for accounting and the easiest to track (Amex allows for uploading of receipts under the corresponding charge).  For all three, I know of no issuer better than Amex.

For instance, I want to pay for a dining function at a steakhouse.  If Ruth's Chris didn't accept Amex (they do, but let's pretend they don't) while Morton's did, I'd have the event at Morton's, even though I prefer Ruth's Chris crabcakses and "sizzling butter on metal plates" experience.

The type of restaurants suited for business functions, in my experience, all take Amex though ...

Message 34 of 71
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Text disappeared for some reason:

I was responding to HiLine's post for examples.  Point 1 was if there really were places where an extended warranty would be valuable that didn't take Amex.

A quick search found, for example, primotronix.com.  This sells cameras, projectors etc, and seemed cheaper than those that also came up in the search.  For a $2K camera, I assume an extended warrenty (from the card issuer) would be of value.   Primotronix takes V/M/D but not Amex.   I think this sector (cheap, internet mainly, higher-end consumer electronics) might have lots of examples, as the target are those looking for the cheapest price on a very occassional purchase.

Point 2 asked if dubious merchants really take Amex.  I think "dubious" is too strong, but suppose I was worried about buying from Primotronix as I think Amex protection is the best.  I can use a competitor, Green Mountain Camera, which seemed to be about 10% more on the particular item, but do take Amex.   Now in general I might no nothing about this merchant, so I want to use Amex to maximize my chances in any dispute.  Here I would really want to know how Amex protection compared to my Big Bank Visa, and so I can decide if it is worth the extra 10%

Message 35 of 71
Open123
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

The type of restaurants suited for business functions, in my experience, all take Amex though ...

Ah, I suppose, Sam's club wine tasting event?  

Message 36 of 71
HiLine
Blogger

@Open123 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Too bad they lost someone as a customer for not taking Amex! Smiley Wink

Message 37 of 71
Open123
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Too bad they lost someone as a customer for not taking Amex! Smiley Wink

LOL...guess I'm gonna have to take this to Costco.

Message 38 of 71
HiLine
Blogger

I never knew Sam's Club had wine tasting events, to be honest Smiley Wink

Message 39 of 71
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

I never knew Sam's Club had wine tasting events, to be honest Smiley Wink

Every day is a tasting event at Costco - for the $55 annual membership, you could eat for free for a whole year, and catch a good buzz from the wine and beer samples (if you don't mind living inside a Costco store) !! Smiley LOL

Great deals on caskets, too Smiley Wink

Message 40 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.