cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do customers really move to other places if Amex can't be used?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Do customers really move to other places if Amex can't be used?

@HiLine wrote:

I never knew Sam's Club had wine tasting events, to be honest Smiley Wink

Neither do I, was just joking around.  

Just wanted to offer what I thought was a comical example (hope the Sam's Club and Costco aficionados don't take offense).  Truth be told, I don't frequent either place often, mainly because I can't get pass the membership fees.

PS - I use my friend's membership when I need stuff.

Message 41 of 71
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

I can't get pass the membership fees.

If you could get over the $55 membership fee at Costco, you can get the TrueEarnings American Express Card for NO annual fee.

Message 42 of 71
Open123
Super Contributor

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

I can't get pass the membership fees.

If you could get over the $55 membership fee at Costco, you can get the TrueEarnings American Express Card for NO annual fee.

I thought about this, actually.  

For Costco, I would much rather use my SPG or Bus Blue than the Costco card.  So, I would only use the Costco card for the gas bonus at 4%, assuming I get the business version.  For me, there are better dedicated gas cards without the Costco pump restriction.

So, to break even with opportunity cost (could spend the initial $5k on spg with my friend's membership, if I were to ever spend that much at Costco) on my membership, at 1% (1.5% executive membership) I'd have to spend around $10k at Costco.  I'll never come close to that since I only purchase volume consumer staples, e.g. paper towels, garbarge bags, $5 roast chickens.

Message 43 of 71
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

Do you get the same protection, extended warranty, and easy dispute process from the Dillard's Amex, even though it is issued by GE?

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 44 of 71
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@android01 wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

The hair salon I frequent is a small business that doesn't take Amex. I like my stylist and she does a good job. I just use my Visa, no big deal. I care far more about the service that I receive than about the payment method, especially when I have an easy option readily available.

Bingo!  I've never really understood why people discriminate so.  Who cares if AMEX or Discover is not accepted?  My guess is that most of us have a Visa or MC we could use? A lot of small businesses don't even take checks anymore.  The payment method is the last thing on my mind when I'm buying some goods or services.  If I get what I want or need, then it doesn't matter how its paid for.  

My opinion on the whole thing is, people think amex is "exclusive" and like to pay for stuff with it as often as possible to look "cool." When a place doesn't accept amex, I feel like many people would get upset and be like "why don't you accept amex" so that they can get angry and let everyone in the store know that they have an amex, and are therefore better than everyone else. Smiley Tongue 

I grew up in boca raton, and this would happen a lot Smiley Very Happy 

I can imagine how embarassed it is If you grap a Centurion card out of your wallet and tried to pay for whatever you buy, and the salesman tells you"Sorry, Sir. We don't take American Exprese". Smiley Very Happy

Though in reality, I would ask them first if I didn't see Amex Logo along with Visa/Mastercard ones to avoid such scenario.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 45 of 71
HiLine
Blogger

@ilovelisa wrote:

Do you get the same protection, extended warranty, and easy dispute process from the Dillard's Amex, even though it is issued by GE?

Not the same dispute process. In terms of extended warranty and price protection, I'll have to look. I happen to have the Visa version and the Amex version of the same card; I will take a look at the T&C's and report back. 

In general though, issued by Amex <<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>> processed by Amex

There are only about 30 credit card products issued by Amex but hundres if not thousands processed by Amex. 

Message 46 of 71
JonStur
Established Contributor

Out of my 14 cards I only carry 4 on a day-to-day basis, my BCE, Cash+, Wally Discover, Discover or Freedom depending on the quarter I'm in. As far as I'm concerned all my bases are covered...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 47 of 71
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

When I started reading this I thought you meant: Do people who have Amex cards move to another home if their Amex card is not widely accepted near where they live.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 48 of 71
HiLine
Blogger

If I lived in a place where Amex is not widely accepted I've gotta be living on Mars. Will definitely move, yes.

Message 49 of 71
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

When I started reading this I thought you meant: Do people who have Amex cards move to another home if their Amex card is not widely accepted near where they live.

I'm thinking about moving to FL because lenders tend to pull TU there Smiley Happy

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 50 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.