cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do higher CLs translate into superior SLs & CLIs ?

tag
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Do higher CLs translate into superior SLs & CLIs ?

Possibly...  computers and manual review may take existing limits into account.

But one thing i can say for sure, the things you do that get you high credit limits will help you get other high credit limits. So once you have one, if you keep doing the same things, you are bound to get other higher limits. 

But once you get high limits cards, you have to be conservative, keep INQ's low with only 1 or 2 in a 6 month period at most, UTL low (less than 30% on any one card and total of less than 30% as well, no lates or other baddies, or you will stop getting high limits and will see limits reduced.  YMMV and high income and years of history with a lender may allow you to break these rules, no promises.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do higher CLs translate into superior SLs & CLIs ?

Congrats on your new credit lines, and it looks like you're definitely reaching your few cards/high limits goal Smiley Happy 

It has worked that way for me, though as others have said, it may vary depending on credit profile. I had only one card at a low limit for a long time (800), and they kept denying me CLIs, until I got fed up and applied for a 2nd card that gave me a 3000 SL. Then after a few months I called the 1st, had a frustrating conversation (they insisted it had to be HP) with still a denial. Then suddenly, I got an email a couple days later, a CLI making 1st card limit > 2nd card! I do believe that someone reviewed that call and SP, and seeing the 2nd card's limit/usage made them want me to use 1st card more.

My goal is like yours - I'm determined to stick with the 4 cards I have now for a looong time and just keep getting CLIs. 

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.