Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do i even stand a chance? Hilton

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do i even stand a chance? Hilton

@NRB525 wrote:

Let me clarify, app using the code that comes on the emails, or even from within your HHonors on-line account that leads to the app.

Why are we voting? AMEX is the only vote that counts.

OK but I will only support this decision if after approval, OP opens a incognito tab, googles amex PRG 50k offer, and apps for that, to combine inquiries. Spend 333 a month for 3 months, and profit. Then in 6 months apply for the Amex Everyday! That way you can hold on to the MR points when you cancel the PRG in 51 weeks....and enjoy 4 $50 airline gift cards!

Message 31 of 47
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Do not have an amex. I think the email is from hilton, but it lists full terms (range i should say) NOT saying im preapproved. It says amex at the bottom of the email but i believe its from Hilton. Is it okay to post the email? Can erase any personal info.

Tbh, im convinced its just marketing and dont hold much hope. But the way theyve been sending them and NRBs comments are making me rethink it...

Marketing IMHO Hilton pushing their CC product 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 32 of 47
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Nope it lists all three aprs.

Doesn't sound very solid to me. What do others here think on this? Pass?

I will agree it isn't a guarantee. But the OP uses the Hiltons regularly, has activity in an HHonors account. There's a definite benefit to having this card and paying directly to Hilton properties that the OP uses today.

The worst case scenario is, OP is denied the card, and gets a clear understanding that this INQ did not lead to getting a card. That denial, if it occurs, is going to contain a lot of useful information, if that result is the outcome. The biggest benefit of the denial in this case is; OP can know that the next app needs to wait for 12 months or so to improve scores and try again. Without incurring that HP, however, it's going to be "what if" for a long time.

That is one of the reasons we use HP: To get a clear answer from a lender whether the credit product that we want is something that we can get. Or not.

Thus, my recommendation to not wait.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 33 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Do not have an amex. I think the email is from hilton, but it lists full terms (range i should say) NOT saying im preapproved. It says amex at the bottom of the email but i believe its from Hilton. Is it okay to post the email? Can erase any personal info.

Tbh, im convinced its just marketing and dont hold much hope. But the way theyve been sending them and NRBs comments are making me rethink it...

I think OP scores are right about where they should be for approval..... Mine were very similar back in may when I got the Amex ED....then in June they gave me delta gold and the PRG....

Inquiries are high, I had about 15 when I was approved I think....

Its a tossup. If OP has income to support the minimum spend on the hilton bonus AND on the PRG bonus.... go for it...Thats my final decision. The PRG will probably get denied until you call in to verify some info fyi.  Not a bad way to get in with amex. Plus you will earn MR points for gas and dining....just hope you enjoy flying cuz thats how you get the best bang for your buck with MR points!

Message 34 of 47
NRB525
Super Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What's wrong with that? They lower the standards for these co-brand cards. It's not like Hilton, through AMEX, doesn't have SP information about the OP.

May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
Message 35 of 47
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Let me clarify, app using the code that comes on the emails, or even from within your HHonors on-line account that leads to the app.

OK but I will only support this decision if after approval, OP opens a incognito tab, googles amex PRG 50k offer, and apps for that, to combine inquiries. Spend 333 a month for 3 months, and profit. Then in 6 months apply for the Amex Everyday! That way you can hold on to the MR points when you cancel the PRG in 51 weeks....and enjoy 4 $50 airline gift cards!

No, I don't agree. The PRG is a separate decision, and while it may be possible to stack apps, that is a level of sophistication that the OP has not indicated interest in. Recommending stacking applications is a step beyond what OP is asking about.

Message 36 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

No, I don't agree. The PRG is a separate decision, and while it may be possible to stack apps, that is a level of sophistication that the OP has not indicated interest in. Recommending stacking applications is a step beyond what OP is asking about.

I guess you better go back a few posts and read what OP has said, especially regarding my other posts......OP is clearly interested....lol

'

Jfriend33- correct me if im mistaken, but i believe its you who always explains the amex prg/ed deals and ways to get good sign on bonuses. Just would like to say im a fan 😜 and let you know i have screen shotted many of those posts for future reference. Lol!"

Message 37 of 47
myjourney
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Tbh,im convinced its just marketing anddont hold much hope. But the waytheyve been sending them andNRBs comments are making me rethink it...

What's wrong with that? They lower the standards for these co-brand cards. It's not like Hilton, through AMEX, doesn't have SP information about the OP.

Hey my friend 

Now this is just me and my personal opinion but I don't waste HP's to see the reason for denials so I can work on the reasons given to use another HP and try again

I understand what your saying as to the marketing aspect

However final decision for approval rest with Amex and not Hilton no matter if you have a membership of 20 years with them.

Now a pre-approval from Amex I would feel more comfortable with providing it had:

A specific APR 

Not a general marketing type letter with a 50/50 chance ....Nope not me I don't roll HP's like Russian roulette.....its suicide waiting to happen 

But that's just me 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 38 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is such a great place. We hear many different opinions and strategies. It all boils down to patience really. Other than that, if things are slightly rushed, its more about luck, at least thats how I feel.

Anyway... amex has been pretty relaxed with certain products lately. They gave me a 5k ED in may when my highest limit card was a 2k commerce bank visa. That was very cool of them (keep in mind, I have a 120 day late student loan error on my report as well). Still cant believe less than 60 days of "Membership" they approve me with a delta gold/prg combo.

But yes, inquiries are really high right now  but I was able to get in with citi with more inquiries. Chase however was super finicky and it took 4 recons and 6 phone calls for my IHG/Hyatt app to just get one approved.

Its a tossup really, if you want to be bold, take a risk, potentially get 2 sign up bonuses, go for it. But if you wait and get scores above 700 your starting limits will be higher, and with amex and their 3x CLI , after a year could be looking at some sick limits..... but...who knows how long that prg 50k offer will be around....

They say that underwriting is least stringent with the charge cards...so if ultimate goal for OP is to get in with amex, then maybe OP should first app for prg, if approved, go for the hilton (then if denied for hilton its only a soft pull, if approved, 2 cards one inquiry, 2 bonuses).....

Message 39 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like that you have a plan. You now know what you're doing and you know what you did wrong. That's great. 

My advice: get your financial house in order first. Do NOT apply for anything. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Rein. 

Sit down and do a budget. This is the first thing you must do. You need to know what you bring in monthly specifically. Then in the other column you need to list each and every bill that must be paid. Some bills are fixed and some have a variable amount. List them all. The difference between your income and expenses = your discretionary spending ability. It is from that amount of extra income that you should use to pay down credit card balances and the utility balance(s). Are you being charged interest on the utility balance(s)? If you are, then speed up the pay off. 

The second thing you need to do is to tackle your credit card balances aggressively. Pay down your utilization on all your cards. below 30% then 20% then below 9%. Get to having a balance on just one card that reports between 1-9% monthly. 

Join a credit union. Do your research as to the best ones in your area. Or you can join a national one like DCI or PenFed etc. 

If you follow this plan for several months, you can get the Hilton card or just about whatever card you want. Why? Your scores will be 700+. You'll be looking good and feeling good. Your priority is not on getting a HIlton card, but getting your financial house or affairs in order. Once you do that you have so much freedom and ability to do what you want. 

Control where your $ goes and not have your $ control you. All of us can have whatever we want, but we have to follow a systematic plan. And a rational and strategic pan does NOT start with getting another credit card and more hard pulls. But once you do get to a certain Fico score range, then definitely pursue what prime card(s) you want and qualify for. Then the joy is that it is not really a guessing game despite what some say. 

I like the tone of your messages. Just adopt some plan, follow it and stay laser like until you achieve. 

Message 40 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.