Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do i have a shot at the amex gold?

tag
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do i have a shot at the amex gold?

Congrats!! I still say go for PRG. Youd be leaving money on the table if you go for gold.
Message 31 of 33
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@B335is wrote:
Congrats!! I still say go for PRG. Youd be leaving money on the table if you go for gold.

+1

Message 32 of 33
watch44
Frequent Contributor

@learningcredit101 wrote:

Hello guys so quick overview of my situation. Im 20 a college student work full time and make a little over 20k a year. Now i have almost 2 years of credit history with no late payments, and i recently payed up all my debt. I have a wells fargo card with a 2.2k limit a macys with a 2.5k and had a 3.500k student loan that i payed in full. My fico score didnt update yet but it was at 684 with equifax, im expecting it to be around 780 or close to 800 when it updates. My experian should be 745 with the other website that i used to get my credit score, and i have no clue about transunion. Now i was wondering if i have a good shot at the amex premier rewards gold card or any of them for that fact. Im attracted to the rewards program and want those benefits. I dont want to waste an inquiry without having at least some confidence. So should i go for it or should i mature my credit history a little longer?

I think you have a good shot at any of the charge cards. This page shows that the average score for PRG is 737. There's obviously no guarantees however.

I can relate since I was also thinking of getting a Amex Gold/PRG recently, but after some 11th hour soul-searching, decided to maximize my approval odds and apped for the Green instead. The only thing the Gold has is higher AF and things like premium roadside assistance and event benefits. I don't go out to events and I have roadside assistance through my car insurance, so whatever. The only real reason I would be choosing the Gold/PRG was for the gold color since I can't spend enough to justify the AF even with the PRG's points multiplier.  I personally associate Amex charge cards with status, regardless of its color. For everybody else, it's just another card. It might as well be a prepaid gift card for all they know or care.

But then I realized the other reason I wanted a charge card was so I would think rationally and maturely about things and not run up credit card debt. And paying extra for the Amex Gold didn't align with that. 

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.