Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do i have a shot at the amex gold?

tag
learningcredit101
Established Member

Do i have a shot at the amex gold?

Hello guys so quick overview of my situation. Im 20 a college student work full time and make a little over 20k a year. Now i have almost 2 years of credit history with no late payments, and i recently payed up all my debt. I have a wells fargo card with a 2.2k limit a macys with a 2.5k and had a 3.500k student loan that i payed in full. My fico score didnt update yet but it was at 684 with equifax, im expecting it to be around 780 or close to 800 when it updates. My experian should be 745 with the other website that i used to get my credit score, and i have no clue about transunion. Now i was wondering if i have a good shot at the amex premier rewards gold card or any of them for that fact. Im attracted to the rewards program and want those benefits. I dont want to waste an inquiry without having at least some confidence. So should i go for it or should i mature my credit history a little longer?

Ex: 745
Macys: 2.5k
Wells fargo:2.6k
Amex Hilton Hhonors Surpass: 2k
Amex PRG: NPSL
Citi AA: 3.4k
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do i have a shot at the amex gold?

I would say go for it. Your scores are more than worthy. Also, keep in mind you can app for the PRG and a revolver(BCE, BCP, ED) for only 1 HP hit.

One thing to think about is, if you get the annual fee waived this year, will it be worth it to pay for it next year?

Do you have business expenses that are paid for that you just want to run through the card?

If not, you may just want to try for a no AF or low AF revolver.

☮ & ❤
Message 2 of 33
BigBS
Senior Contributor

You should be fine since they will check EX.  You can go to the site and see if you pre-qualify to help with your decision.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 3 of 33
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Credit wise you should be ok, but idk if you can justify a 175.00 annual fee credit card with an annual income of $20,000.00

To really get the benefits of a charge card you need to be putting reasonably heavy spending through it each year to justify the high AF

Maybe try for a revolver with amex? 

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 4 of 33
learningcredit101
Established Member

I was thinking of using it for everything i.e; gas, food, groceries, school expenses, for everything. 

Message 5 of 33
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Even still, to justify a 175.00 annual fee you would have to be spending 17,500.00 per year (or slightly less gievn bonus points) to just break even on points. 

This card isn't likely to be worth your while right now 

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 6 of 33
learningcredit101
Established Member

Well to be fair the first year the fee is waived off but anyways would you recommend the green card? It has the same rewards program and the fee is 95 a year. The only downside is you dont get bonus points for spending a certain amount in 3 months.

Message 7 of 33
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

Revolver definitely seems like the way to go for you. I think you need to take a look at the BCE or BCP. If you prefer a points system take a look at the Everyday card.

☮ & ❤
Message 8 of 33
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@learningcredit101 wrote:

Well to be fair the first year the fee is waived off but anyways would you recommend the green card? It has the same rewards program and the fee is 95 a year. The only downside is you dont get bonus points for spending a certain amount in 3 months.

For charge cards, I would definitely go w/ the PRG for the signup bonus and you can always downgrade to Green after 12months to reduce your AF down to $95.  The reward system is different from PRG & the Green:  PRG gets 3x on airfare, 2x on groceries & gas, and 1x points for everything else (points per dollar), where as for Green is 2x for traveling (purchased through Amex Travel site) & 1x point for everything else. 

Where are you getting your EX score from?  If anything, I would invest $20 each on EX & TU from MyFICO and see what your actual scores are so you have a better understanding where you are and go from there.  But just from your given scores, i would agree with others that you should be fine Smiley Wink

::edited for typo::

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 9 of 33
learningcredit101
Established Member

I got my experian from freecreditscore, i also forgot to mention that i also want the gold not only for the rewards but for the status Smiley Wink im not one to be irresponsible so thats not a factor. My main reason for posting was to see if you guys thought i would have a fair chance of being approved.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.