cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do inquiry results hound you on future applications?

tag
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

Do inquiry results hound you on future applications?

I did a mini-app spree in May. My last baddie had dropped off EQ resulting in a 50 point jump to 744. I had no EQ inquiries since 12/07, so I could resist no longer.

I applied for Nordstrom’s, Amazon (Chase) and Kroger (RBS) all within 30 minutes online. All pulled EQ.  None were instant approvals. I had to call and furnish additional information for all of them. Eventually, Nordstrom’s gave me Visa Signature at $3,000 CL after a trip to the store and a second inquiry on EX. Kroger gave me MC at $6,000 after a follow-up phone call and verification of my address. When I called Chase they gave me $400! My third statement dropped last week and still at $400 CL.

I’m satisfied with the Nordstrom’s and Kroger, but it bugs me that I can’t even buy the blu-ray player that Chase advertises on my account page because of the low limit. In July 2007 all my scores were barely over 600. My EX went up fast, but EQ was probably still in low 600’s when I applied for Amazon in September 2007, and was turned down flat. That inquiry was First USA. So, even though FICO only counts inquiries in the last year, Chase had pulled my EQ in the last two years. I’m thinking that is why I got such a low-ball offer. They could still see how low I was once, and didn't care much about my current status.

I’m thinking it might help to call about the low limit after 9/17 when the inquiry fully drops off. How long do they keep the results of an inquiry? Does it affect applications until it fully drops? Do they keep it indefinitely?

Message Edited by jaysdad2k on 08-10-2009 01:23 PM
"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Do inquiry results hound you on future applications?

You were approved - you just don't like the CL. That's really apples and oranges. You should have called up Chase and expressed yourself right away. Not that it would make very much difference - Chase is being very hard nosed about everything these days. You can still call them and ask why you were approved for such a low CL, but I highly doubt they will do anything about it. Don't worry about what they already have on file for you - they will retain the report, or distillations of it, for quite a long time and there is nothing you can do about it. Be careful when you call them - Chase does hard INQ's for CLI.
Message 2 of 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

i was approved for a 3.2k cl on a chase amazon card earlier this year.  i had been denied for the same card in 2007 and that inq was present upon reapp. i'd have to imagine the old inq from the denied app was at most a v. marginal factor in determining the recent approval and cl on the new app. 

in any case, the old inq falling off doesn't necessarily indicate the previous snap shots of cbr are deleted from their records but the decision is based on the current info pulled and other factors afaik.  perhaps the other fresh apps. also impacted the initial cl chase offered to you.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

Congrats on the approval.  I wouldn't have wasted an inquiry with Chase. 
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know which CRA they pull?
Message 5 of 9
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

Yes, EQ both in 2007 and this year.

At first I was happy with the approval, but that was the first one before I got 3K and 6K days later on other cards.

I went for high probability EQ pulls and they all pulled EQ.

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase gave me a $400 CL as well about 2 years ago... gee, thanks Chase!  I can afford to go out to dinner and fill my tank up before I get maxed out. Smiley Tongue

Worst part is, after 2 years and perfect credit management since, they still won't raise the card.  A side question to those reading this... if I request a CL increase, will they pull my report?  If so I'll ignore it but if they don't I may click the button here.

Message 7 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase gave me a $400 CL as well about 2 years ago... gee, thanks Chase!  I can afford to go out to dinner and fill my tank up before I get maxed out. Smiley Tongue

Worst part is, after 2 years and perfect credit management since, they still won't raise the card.  A side question to those reading this... if I request a CL increase, will they pull my report?  If so I'll ignore it but if they don't I may click the button here.

The common understanding here is that all cardholder initiated CLI requests at Chase will result in a hard credit pull.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, my request for a Chase CLI was a hard pull (ouch!).  It was before I knew better/joined the forum.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.