cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do joint credit card accounts reduce how much credit you have with a Bank?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do joint credit card accounts reduce how much credit you have with a Bank?

For example, if Chase will only allow me to have a total of $40K CL with them and I already have $35K with them. My next card will be capped at $5K.

Okay, but what about joint credit cards? Do their credit limits count? If I am the primary cardholder, then yes. But what if I am a secondary cardholder?

For example, Let's say someone adds me to their Chase credit card as a secondary joint cardholder with a 35K CL. Chase will only allow me to have 40K with them. When I try to apply for new Chase cards, will they allow me to receive 40K? Or just 5K?

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Do joint credit card accounts reduce how much credit you have with a Bank?

I don't think Chase does joint, that I know of. They do authorised users which won't matter regarding limits and exposure.

As for joint account, credit line is generally based on primary. But if they don't qualify and a joint account is needed then they are basically co signor. I'm guessing it would affect your exposure if your primary doesn't qualify only due to the fact a joint holder is just as responsible.

An authorised user is not responsible for the debts nor would your exposure be affected.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do joint credit card accounts reduce how much credit you have with a Bank?

@Anonymous wrote:

For example, if Chase will only allow me to have a total of $40K CL with them and I already have $35K with them. My next card will be capped at $5K.

Okay, but what about joint credit cards? Do their credit limits count? If I am the primary cardholder, then yes. But what if I am a secondary cardholder?

For example, Let's say someone adds me to their Chase credit card as a secondary joint cardholder with a 35K CL. Chase will only allow me to have 40K with them. When I try to apply for new Chase cards, will they allow me to receive 40K? Or just 5K?

Thanks!!

Welcome to MyFico.  No one knows what their internal limit is with any bank.  If you are a co-signer on an account, that does not go against you.  So the example you are giving with Chase will not affect you.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.