Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do junk cards inhibit higher limits?

tag
zsepthenne
Regular Contributor

Do junk cards inhibit higher limits?

Couldn't quite figure out what to title this. What I'm wondering is if my lame little cards(VS and Loft) affect getting higher limits. For instance, my income is rather low, $24K, so would my prime cards figure in those low limits as like a cap on what my total credit line would be? If so I would dump them in a flash and am already contemplating it as I can't get behind a 26% Apr!

Beginning Scores 9/2013: EX 651, TU 639 Short term goals: Scores in the mid 700s 1/15 TU08 701| 4/2018 TU08 800!! |11/2019 TU 785
CapOne Quicksilver $5000 | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard $6900 | Amex Everyday $15000 | Discover It $13000 | Cap One Walmart Mastercard $8000 | BofA Cash Rewards $3200 | CareCredit $7200 | Citibank Double Cash $10500 | Chase AARP $5500
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Do junk cards inhibit higher limits?

@zsepthenne wrote:

Couldn't quite figure out what to title this. What I'm wondering is if my lame little cards(VS and Loft) affect getting higher limits. For instance, my income is rather low, $24K, so would my prime cards figure in those low limits as like a cap on what my total credit line would be? If so I would dump them in a flash and am already contemplating it as I can't get behind a 26% Apr!

my guess would be lowish income is more the problem. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 16
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

if all cards your  are as stated in your signature line, you don't have crappy cards. Your store cards will grow with time and most prime lenders don't count them in calculating your new CL's, your prime cards are all hovering around the 2k-3k CL,  in 61 days go for a CLI on your AMEX, card if they grant 2-3x CLI you are on your way, as your CL's begin to grow others will grow as well. Your income isn't helping things, but after a few years your income may grow, and your cards will grow because you are seen as more trust worthy to lenders.  Keep doing what you are doing. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 16
zsepthenne
Regular Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@zsepthenne wrote:

Right, so I was thinking that I'd rather have the VS $750 and the $1000 Loft on one of my more desirable cards, like my Amex?

Beginning Scores 9/2013: EX 651, TU 639 Short term goals: Scores in the mid 700s 1/15 TU08 701| 4/2018 TU08 800!! |11/2019 TU 785
CapOne Quicksilver $5000 | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard $6900 | Amex Everyday $15000 | Discover It $13000 | Cap One Walmart Mastercard $8000 | BofA Cash Rewards $3200 | CareCredit $7200 | Citibank Double Cash $10500 | Chase AARP $5500
Message 4 of 16
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@zsepthenne wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@zsepthenne wrote:

Right, so I was thinking that I'd rather have the VS $750 and the $1000 Loft on one of my more desirable cards, like my Amex?

they aren't backed by the same company there is no way to move the CL to your AMEX card, if you have had the Amex card for  longer than a couple months and you haven't requested a CLI, you might want to try,  ask for 2-3x yor current CL, and they should counter with a lower number if they don't deny it. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 16
zsepthenne
Regular Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

if all cards your  are as stated in your signature line, you don't have crappy cards. Your store cards will grow with time and most prime lenders don't count them in calculating your new CL's, your prime cards are all hovering around the 2k-3k CL,  in 61 days go for a CLI on your AMEX, card if they grant 2-3x CLI you are on your way, as your CL's begin to grow others will grow as well. Your income isn't helping things, but after a few years your income may grow, and your cards will grow because you are seen as more trust worthy to lenders.  Keep doing what you are doing. 

Oh ok, this is awesome to know! Yes I am very happy with all my other cards so far, other than BofA. But I can't complain as it was secured and unsecured early at 9 months.

Message 6 of 16
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

Nope Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 16
newhis
Valued Contributor

Don't try to get 10+ cards when you are starting your credit history or rebuilding, all the inquiries will hurt you. Let your cards grow. Know when to apply for CLI and what is the cost (SP or HP). Better limits on the cards you have, will bring better limits on the cards you apply in the future.

Message 8 of 16
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

I went on a Christmas season rampage with all the hype over "the shopping cart trick" like many others before n after Smiley Very Happy Before long i finally realized that i was racking up on only $500 comenity store card limits and ignoring what really matters, Prime Lenders (MC/Visa etc.) When i finally got around to apping prime lenders it was always a Recon needed and try as i may, even the mention trying to explain the reasons for those store cards, the Recon reps couldn't have cared less and simply dismissed them as though they weren't even there Smiley Surprised  To this very day not one single Recon Rep i have went thru is even bothered to mention them or bring them up, (and i have roughtly 13 if you include gecrb) so apparently unless those are all the stats you have showing for review, Prime Lenders seem to focus strictly on Prime CC stats including CU's from my experience.

You should be fine Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 16
zsepthenne
Regular Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

I went on a Christmas season rampage with all the hype over "the shopping cart trick" like many others before n after Smiley Very Happy Before long i finally realized that i was racking up on only $500 comenity store card limits and ignoring what really matters, Prime Lenders (MC/Visa etc.) When i finally got around to apping prime lenders it was always a Recon needed and try as i may, even the mention trying to explain the reasons for those store cards, the Recon reps couldn't have cared less and simply dismissed them as though they weren't even there Smiley Surprised  To this very day not one single Recon Rep i have went thru is even bothered to mention them or bring them up, (and i have roughtly 13 if you include gecrb) so apparently unless those are all the stats you have showing for review, Prime Lenders seem to focus strictly on Prime CC stats including CU's from my experience.

You should be fine Smiley Happy

Ok, thanks for the input  everyone :-D

I too fell victim to the shopping cart trick in October when I was at the beginning of my rebuild lol. I did cancel the Express I aquired as I will never use it and never did.

Yeah the only card  I really want at this point in the future is the Sallie Mae <3 and one more to be determined later.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.