cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do larger limit cards hurt future large limit Approvals?

tag
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Do larger limit cards hurt future large limit Approvals?

Revelate wrote: To a certain amount spend factors too; there's the grey area of reimburseable business expenses which don't necessiate requiring a business card which can substantially boost one's spend outside of one's income. 

I mentioned reiburseable business expenses as a reason for limit increase in my discussions with the Chase recon rep.  My spending pattern supported it; I was running up to 75% and then paying in full nearly every month.  I told them that I had stopped using their card because I was getting too close to the limit, but really prefered their card for the rewards.

They didn't seem to concerned about the source of the payment, but looked favorably on the monthly PIF and high use.

Message 21 of 33
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Corporal Captain... What's your FICO?

I wonder if your FICO becomes more important once your hhi=avai credit?

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 22 of 33
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@p- wrote:

Revelate wrote: To a certain amount spend factors too; there's the grey area of reimburseable business expenses which don't necessiate requiring a business card which can substantially boost one's spend outside of one's income. 

I mentioned reiburseable business expenses as a reason for limit increase in my discussions with the Chase recon rep.  My spending pattern supported it; I was running up to 75% and then paying in full nearly every month.  I told them that I had stopped using their card because I was getting too close to the limit, but really prefered their card for the rewards.

They didn't seem to concerned about the source of the payment, but looked favorably on the monthly PIF and high use.

I recently had a mirror discussion with Amex regarding their cards both Charge and Revolver and the determination was the same.  They seemed to not care where the payment came from, reimbursable expense or personal, so long as it consistently got paid. 

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 23 of 33
CorporalCaptain
Valued Member

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

Currently my EQ Fico is 811.

I was in the low 700s when I hit about $20k on $35k income.

Mid 700s when I hit about $30k on $35k income.

Upper 700s when I went over $40k on $38k income.

And finally I was bouncing between 790s and 810s when I broke $53k limits on $41k income.

USAA World MasterCard - $14,500
American Express SPG - $20,000
NFCU CashRewards Visa Sig - $20,000
PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa - $5,000
Message 24 of 33
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Wow thats pretty goo

@CorporalCaptain wrote:

And finally I was bouncing between 790s and 810s when I broke $53k limits on $41k income.

Wow thats pretty good. Just don't use all that credit and you'll be fine.Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 33
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Omg haha... Okay so it seems as though an 800+ FICO will allow you to have avail cred that exceeds your income!

My avail credit is about equal to hhi, and my FICO is in the 680-700+ range...
Well, I'm in the garden. Hoping for a rebound to the 750 range haha!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 26 of 33
CorporalCaptain
Valued Member

@dddewdrop wrote:

Wow thats pretty goo

@CorporalCaptain wrote:

Wow thats pretty good. Just don't use all that credit and you'll be fine.Smiley Happy

Yeah, no kidding my friend.  I would be in a major world of hurt if I used it all.

As it is, I PIF every month, and I typically only have 5-7% reporting (edit: on any given card).  (Edit) Should have said 2-4% overall util.

That's the nice thing of high limits, you can actually use your cards, have a balance report, and still be a "Good Little Borrower™" in the eyes of lenders. Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 33
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Lol! That's why I love my high limits... I can actually use the cards without worrying too too much about util!

Long gone are the days of trying not to exceed my $1300 Cap One limit even though I pif'ed! Lol

:-)
Message 28 of 33
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@CorporalCaptain wrote:

oh boy... looks that you have perfect discipline !  Such CL compared to income would get many  in big trouble. Congrats to your scores ! 

Message 29 of 33
CorporalCaptain
Valued Member

@lg8302ch wrote:

@CorporalCaptain wrote:

oh boy... looks that you have perfect discipline !  Such CL compared to income would get many  in big trouble. Congrats to your scores ! 

I would be lying if I said I was never tempted.  BUT...the temptation (when it does hit) only lasts a few minutes at most because the logical side of my brain always jumps in with "and just how long would it take to pay this off??".   I leaned my lesson years ago when I was treating credit cards as free money instead of debt and I got into trouble.  Took me years to dig out and I have no intention of ever doing that again if I have any say in the matter.

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.