Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do places in Canada take discover card?

tag
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

Do places in Canada take discover card?

Thinking about traveling to canada in a month. I do not have any card other than discover that has no ftf. 

I am currently in the garden so i don't want to apply for another card... but just fee like discover isn't as convenient as visa/mastercard

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Do places in Canada take discover card?

Where can I use my card in Canada?

Discover is currently welcomed at millions of locations across North America and around the world. Discover is continually working to expand its global acceptance to ensure that your Discover card is accepted at the places you travel the most. Use your card at merchants like restaurants, hotels, and some of the most popular shopping areas.

Please look for displayed signage of the Discover acceptance mark, or simply ask if they accept Discover cards.

I would say yes?

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 2 of 8
cschick
Valued Member

Fwiw when I went to Niagra Falls 2 years ago neither my debit card (as a pin transaction) or discover worked in major tourist destinations. When I called to let them know I was traveling the Discover CSR warned me that their acceptance rate in Ontario is not as good as they'd like. Best bring some loonies and toonies
FICO: 782(Ex, AMEX 8/12), Mortgage Pull(3.0%, 5/1 ARM from Local CU 2/2013): 725(EX), 757(TU), 772(EQ); 775(EX, Amex 8/14)
Cards: Amex BCE(10300), Discover(7000), Target (1000), PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa (8500), Chase Freedom(5000), Barclay Arrival+ (10000), Amex HHonors Surpass(11,800)
App'd: Barclay & Hhonors Surpass Aug 2014, PenFed & Freedom Feb 2013, Amex & Target Jul 2012, Discover Feb 2008 Gardening til ???
Goals: TBD, possibly a mortgage refi to a fixed rate or better adjustable
Message 3 of 8
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

My wifes from Tononto Canada & we go to Ontario a few times a year. I have never seen any place that takes Discover. I have asked & most have not heard of it. Im sure their must be places that do take it, i just have not had luck.

Message 4 of 8
irrational
Frequent Contributor

If you're three priorities are;

1) A no FTF card

2) Better acceptance than Discover (e.g., MasterCard or VISA)

3) Avoid a hard pull/stay in the garden

Then, just getting creative here, you could open a CapitalOne 360 Checking account. They give you a no-FTF MasterCard debit card (yeah, I know, not a credit card, hence the "creative" part). As long as you don't request an overdraft line of credit, there will not be a hard pull.

If it was me, I'd just app for a new card... Though, I don't know your reasons for gardening.

Two good no-FTF cards that come to mind are the Chase Sapphire Preffered, and the CapitalOne Quicksilver.

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 5 of 8
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

@Christina_xyt wrote:

Thinking about traveling to canada in a month. I do not have any card other than discover that has no ftf. 

I am currently in the garden so i don't want to apply for another card... but just fee like discover isn't as convenient as visa/mastercard

Shouldn't be a problem in any hotel or major restaurant especially in the border communities and vacation resorts.  Canadian retailers are used to seeing all kinds of cards from all over the world if they are MC, VISA or AMEX but they may not be set up to take Discover unless their name is Walmart/Target.  However, you should be able to use any of the billion or so ATMs we have access to your money should not be a problem.  If push comes to shove - buy some CDN currency from your bank or travellers cheques before coming up. Don't mind the polyester notes though -- it is the latest forgery fighting technique we imported from Australia.

Edit: Just thought of another way of paying - buy a prepaid credit card.  But ask about the policy for currency exchange first if buying yours in the US.  If you are buying it up here, you shouldn't have any issues.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 6 of 8
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

@cschick wrote:
Fwiw when I went to Niagra Falls 2 years ago neither my debit card (as a pin transaction) or discover worked in major tourist destinations. When I called to let them know I was traveling the Discover CSR warned me that their acceptance rate in Ontario is not as good as they'd like. Best bring some loonies and toonies

Your debit card would have worked if it was with the major international transaction networks like Cirrus/Plus or Canada's own Interac.

P.S. To the OP, don't expect to get any pennies back when paying by cash.  We eliminated the penny and round (up and down) all cash transactions to the nearest nickel.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 7 of 8
Alkalinem0n0
Contributor

I was in Canada in April no problem in wall mart I also we to a few places to eat the only place that didn't accept it was good earth coffee shop. 

BofA Cash Rewards 16 k|BofA Travel Rewards 10k|Gold Delta SkyMiles American Express 32k|Discover IT 7k|Chase Freedom 10k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.