cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do some creditors never forgive low score/SL?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do some creditors never forgive low score/SL?

One more thing, in response to your post above about rates.  I'm not sure if you are used to carrying balances, but if so you may want to reconsider your approach to credit somewhat.  A few years back I used to carry balances, but after taking a good look at what I was doing and especially after reading on this forum for a while now there's no way I would ever do that again.  PIF has become a way of life.

I just say this because I honestly don't even know what any of my interest rates are, nor do I care.  All of my cards could raise my rates to 99.99% and it wouldn't bother me at all since I will never have a balance and pay them any interest anyway.

You seemed pretty big on interest rates and I just thought this is something you may want to consider in the future.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 completely agree. They should triple size the font where it shows how much interest you paid this year on statements. reality check. 

Once your scores are in a solid position, you can potentially "ride the wave" of many years of zero percent intro cards, if you get one every 12 months, perhaps 10- 11 months to overlap a balance transfer.  2 INQ and 2 new accounts  a year wont kill a thing. Credit bliss like that...speaking for myself...still so far away...

Message 12 of 14
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

One more thing, in response to your post above about rates.  I'm not sure if you are used to carrying balances, but if so you may want to reconsider your approach to credit somewhat.  A few years back I used to carry balances, but after taking a good look at what I was doing and especially after reading on this forum for a while now there's no way I would ever do that again.  PIF has become a way of life.

I just say this because I honestly don't even know what any of my interest rates are, nor do I care.  All of my cards could raise my rates to 99.99% and it wouldn't bother me at all since I will never have a balance and pay them any interest anyway.

You seemed pretty big on interest rates and I just thought this is something you may want to consider in the future.

I partially agree with the above, with additional thought that while PIF is the ideal, there is another facet of the equation in that I would say there are some (most?) cards that are designed to be PIF (with PIF as a general rule) but there also a few exceptions where carrying a balance may make sense, on cards with extremely-low APRs.  For example, it really comes down to a choice of (to reference fordguy's post above), would you rather keep regularly applying for 0% BT promo cards, knowing that the BT fee is typically going to be anywhere from 2% - 5% of the existing balance, for each balance transfer?  Or, would you rather carry a balance on 1-2 low-APR cards, say anywhere from 5.xx% - 8.xx% and/or slightly higher while still in the single digits, and forgo the BT fees?  You are essentially being charged either way; pick your poison:  BT fees or interest charges.  My personal preference is for the latter, which is why I care a great deal about APRs, IMO.  Not to mention, once your 0% BT promo ends on a card, what happens to it -- is it closed out or placed in the SD indefinitely?  My own philosophy for myself is that if I don't see myself as using a card for the long-term and for long-term purposes, I'm not going to app for it.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand what you are saying, but for me there's no poison to pick as I never have BT fees or interest charges.  My cost of using credit cards is zero, or negative if you figure in bonuses and rewards.  For people that do carry balances though, I get where you are coming from.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.