cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do student cards limit your chances of CLIs?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do student cards limit your chances of CLIs?

I have a BoA cash rewards  (orginally 800$) and Discover IT (1000$) but both are apparantly STUDENT cards (im a junior in undergrad) and I think my low limits (less than 5% of my salary of ~21,000$ is due to them being labeled as "student." This stinks like a rotten egg. So when I graduate do I update them or something? Call up BoA and Discover and tell them "I no longer go to school, stop giving me joke limits"  Or do I have to apply for the "non baby" versions of discover IT and BoA. My fico score was 743 when I applied so I was not much of a liability. Yea I didnt have too much of a history but I TRUELY think that if I simply opted for the regular card I would be treated like an adult and maybe been given a limit of at least 2k... 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Do student cards limit your chances of CLIs?

Some lenders will want to upgrade your card. Others will let you PC your card and some lenders will let you keep your student card. However, you should notify your lenders of your new income if you are employed and that your graduated. Most will let you do it through their website. The reason being is you will be much more likely for a CLI that way.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 5
Josh2942
Established Contributor

Im not sure really. I am a freshman undergrad and started with a Cap 1 Journey Card college at 500. I was able to PC to a Quicksilver Card and get a CLI to 2,000 which happened in only 7 statements. I do have a Wells Fargo card that is also college and they wont give me a CLI for anything and I never carry balances or pay late

Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 3 of 5
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a BoA cash rewards  (orginally 800$) and Discover IT (1000$) but both are apparantly STUDENT cards (im a junior in undergrad) and I think my low limits (less than 5% of my salary of ~21,000$ is due to them being labeled as "student." This stinks like a rotten egg. So when I graduate do I update them or something? Call up BoA and Discover and tell them "I no longer go to school, stop giving me joke limits"  Or do I have to apply for the "non baby" versions of discover IT and BoA. My fico score was 743 when I applied so I was not much of a liability. Yea I didnt have too much of a history but I TRUELY think that if I simply opted for the regular card I would be treated like an adult and maybe been given a limit of at least 2k... 

Anytime you have a student CC, there's usually a much lower internal limit as College Students tend to be more risky when it comes to credit. You can request the non-student version of the cards (if available) or PC the card to another card. If you're going to apply based on your job, I would make sure not to tell them you're a student (as it would put you back in the student aisle once again)

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 4 of 5
JeffM
Contributor

My WF student card started out at $300

My BoA student card at $700

My Discover IT at $1500

They grew to what they are in my signature now (some through HP CLIs and some through auto CLIs). There's discussion about the limit on student cards on these forums but I'm not sure if there's been overwhelming evidence in support of that idea

Wells Fargo Cash Back - $2400 || Bank of America Cash Rewards - $5000 || Discover IT - $5000 || American Express BCE - $15000

FICO TU - 769
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.