cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do these 3 cards seem to be enough to be content with?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do these 3 cards seem to be enough to be content with?

I'm 23 and I'm a coborrower for a Wells Fargo Mastercard that dates back to 1974

I have a credit union Visa from 2014

And I just received a AmEx Gold Premier Rewards. Does this seem like enough? I feel pretty content managing between these 3 and I don't want the added complexity of more cards when it comes to billing time.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do these 3 cards seem to be enough to be content with?

Yes its enough. I had 11 cards and just cut down to 6 because honestly WTH. Its too stressful managing a boatload of cards. But hey thats just me. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 15
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Sure it is enough if it meets your needs. I know someone with one credit card and one student loan and whose FICO is 820+

Message 3 of 15
wmweeza
Established Contributor

It's enough. I have 4 cards and may add a 5th in October, but I'm perfectly happy where I am, my credit score is excellent , and I don't have to track rewards or due dates with software...I just keep track on my own. That's the beauty of just a few cards (though yes, it's not for everyone but it works for me)

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to have another wells fargo credit card but I cancelled it. I had it since 2010 but now since I added myself to my mother's (in exchange for paying off her card entirely) I feel I have a sufficiently long credit history. I do have a question. Does the fact I have a 41 year long credit history play any role when it comes to people pulling up my history? I'm somewhat worried my older than me credit history  may bring up questions or problems.

Message 5 of 15
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I used to have another wells fargo credit card but I cancelled it. I had it since 2010 but now since I added myself to my mother's (in exchange for paying off her card entirely) I feel I have a sufficiently long credit history. I do have a question. Does the fact I have a 41 year long credit history play any role when it comes to people pulling up my history? I'm somewhat worried my older than me credit history  may bring up questions or problems.

Google research is your friend here.  The card will probably be ignored for scoring purposes.  Another thing, I am not sure adding will back date, but just report the date opened as the date you became AU.  Not sure where you got the information.

Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing on google says anything about it but I got the impression from what others said that when you are added on a credit account the history of the credit account shows up on your report and thus I would have the whole history. I could be wrong though.

Message 7 of 15
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nothing on google says anything about it but I got the impression from what others said that when you are added on a credit account the history of the credit account shows up on your report and thus I would have the whole history. I could be wrong though.

That would be inaccurate.  If mom said that, shame. Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eh well, I've still got the perfect payment history of that original credit card on my record for 10 years and by then my other cards will have perfect histories as well. Can't see this hurting me too much.

Message 9 of 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm 23 and I'm a coborrower for a Wells Fargo Mastercard that dates back to 1974

I have a credit union Visa from 2014

And I just received a AmEx Gold Premier Rewards. Does this seem like enough? I feel pretty content managing between these 3 and I don't want the added complexity of more cards when it comes to billing time.

Then that's your answer.

You have to do what you are content and happy with. 3 cards, well managed, is perfectly fine for scoring. You can have an excellent score with these. You do not "need" anything else. You can get more cards if you ever want but beyond 3 or so is basically preference not necessary for a good score or credit file.

I have 4 and will never exceed 5 most likely. More than that is for me, a headache. I'm not knocking anyone who does it, but I am not about to make spreadsheets to manage my cards/rewards. I just don't have the time or interest to go that far with it.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.