Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we have a choice in credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do we have a choice in credit card?

We have a slightly difficult situation. My wife and I just got pre approved then denied for a home mortgage. We together make $85,000 and my wife scores are in the mid 700's but my scores, or  "score", took us out of the running. I have one score on experian. and that score is 750. I do not have scores with the other 2 credit agencies. To make a long story short, I got crazy in my late teens, early twenties, and racked up credit cards , didn't pay them, had charge offs and bad marks, and then it seems like all at once there was nothing on my credit report. Now I am building from scratch.  I would like to know if someone out there with experience, could let meknow what direction I should go when getting a credit card. Should I get a credit card or store card? Which stores/cc will approve me with only one credit score? Need to get my score built up and know it takes time...just don't know where to start!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
andre181
Established Contributor

Re: Do we have a choice in credit card?

First thing I would do is if your wife has some good prime cards, have her add you as an authorized user on her cards. Those cards will then pop up onto your credit report and give you some good history!

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually She doesn't have any cards. She pulled her credit up into the 700's by auto loans. She has never had a credit card a day in her life. Should she try to get one? Or should we co-apply?

Message 3 of 18
Woolfman
Established Contributor

Honestly if you want the sure thing to start with . Find some place that offers secured cards and put 500 in to it and use it for about 6 months and then apply for another . This way you dont put in a bunch of app's and get nothing to show for it .

The previous idea is also good . Your wife having some credit history .. apply and then add you on as an AU .  The general census around here is never never apply for joint credit cards. If something should ever go wrong in the future. Both credit reports dont have to tank if maybe one persons set of cards could be still paid .

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

hey needdirection,

What's showing up on your Experian report?

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was wondering if someone was going to ask that question! Our current mortgage. We went through a small town bank who "doesn't" currently report to agencies. But a year after they said that, we checked our scores and there it was, on the report.  But only one score showed up... not sure why.  And we asked if they could report to the other agencies, but they said they couldn't.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhhh!

Well, your score is very nice.  You need a cc that pulls Experian.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, If my wife applys, which kind of card should she get? A store card or a credit card? We were thinking about a Lowe's card becuase it would be used for good purpose, as we a re trying to fix up our current house to sell? What do you guys think?

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know which cards pull experian?

Message 9 of 18
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

AMEX does.

TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.