Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you Know your card? *updated*

tag
LesWH
Established Contributor

Do you Know your card? *updated*

I think this was posted not too long ago, however I am posting it again because as of January 27, 2013, merchants in all states except a handful will be able to pass surcharge fees on to the consumers who use credit cards (debit cards are safe).

http://usa.visa.com/personal/using_visa/checkout_fees/index.html

*updated with better link*

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: Do you Know your card?

where did you see the states and i think this link is old from like 2000's...most merchants and i mean larger ones proably will not pass down the fees it will be the smaller ones that will. i also heared another law stating that merchants can not do this but can offer cash discounts. if this where to happen banks and even stores them selves would see less money because not every one can buy everything on cash. 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 2 of 17
LesWH
Established Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:

where did you see the states and i think this link is old from like 2000's

Try this link:

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

Message 3 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Do you Know your card? *updated*

@LesWH wrote:

I think this was posted not too long ago, however I am posting it again because as of January 27, 2013, merchants in all states except a handful will be able to pass surcharge fees on to the consumers who use credit cards (debit cards are safe).

Thank god I live in Cali! 

Message 4 of 17
jmco
Contributor

at my company we have been charging a 3% "handling fee" on all credit card payments for 3 years now.....at first the consumers complained but our legal department looked into it and found we could charge it as long as it's called something other than a "credit card fee".  As a consumer I think it stinks but from a business standpoint

the transaction fees charged by these CC companies are crazy so I definitely understand why a company would want to recoup some of their money,
"

Starting Score: 720
Current Score: 626
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 17
LesWH
Established Contributor

Re: Do you Know your card? *updated*

@09Lexie wrote:

@LesWH wrote:

Thank god I live in Cali! 

I live in Florida, so I'm with you on that 09Lexie!!!

Message 6 of 17
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

this is not what the country needs now its going to hurt alot of businesses and alot of people

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Message 7 of 17
LesWH
Established Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:

this is not what the country needs now its going to hurt alot of businesses and alot of people

I agree it's going to hurt people.  How is it going to hurt businesses?  They will be passing the fees on to the consumer.

Message 8 of 17
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

@LesWH wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

I agree it's going to hurt people.  How is it going to hurt businesses?  They will be passing the fees on to the consumer.

becasue people will not buy stuff if the have to buy more...if a family needs to get food on credit becasue they can not afford to pay cash right away. its going to be a big deal soon and gas stations will most likly the first to impose this fee...

Message 9 of 17
LesWH
Established Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:

@LesWH wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

becasue people will not buy stuff if the have to buy more...if a family needs to get food on credit becasue they can not afford to pay cash right away. its going to be a big deal soon and gas stations will most likly the first to impose this fee...

I think if people need food and need to pay with credit, they are going to pay that extra fee, rather than go hungery.  Samne with gas.  If they need to get to work/school/ wherever, they are going to get the gas....

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.