Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you Know your card? *updated*

tag
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: Do you Know your card?

that is true but whats going to happen will be they cant buy other things...its going to be a mess for awhile but i am sure things will change when they relize whats going to happen..i feel that we already pay for those fees...they are built into the price of the product that some will just make extra money on it

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 11 of 17
android01
Valued Contributor

@LesWH wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

this is not what the country needs now its going to hurt alot of businesses and alot of people

I agree it's going to hurt people.  How is it going to hurt businesses?  They will be passing the fees on to the consumer.

You got that right.  When one is dealing with a 10% margin on sales, 3% matters A LOT to accept credit cards.  When thinking about all all the expenses in having a sales force including salary, medical, 401K, warehouse utilization, communication expenses etc - and that's just to be able to compete.  Not to mention that when people pay with rewards VISA or MASTERCARD credit cards, the percentage is invariably higher.  Credit card sales are horrible for vendors who accept credit cards. AMEX is the worst.  It's becoming a real problem, especially in the industry I'm in to accept credit cards. What do I do to accept credit cards?  I reduce pay, I reduce the number of people that I employ, and I encourage cash only sales and services.  Credit card usage by my customers in my line of business is detrimental.  Will I pass this on to the consumer ? Yes, because I have to to stay in business.    

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 12 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

In my view, the credit cards rewards system (especially Amex) allows for a transfer of wealth to the credit card issuer and the cardmember.  

What I mean by "transfer of wealth" is the fees incurred by merchants to subsidize a card user's rewards is passed onto other consumers by the merchant.  So, in essence, because of the merchant fees associated with rewards cards, goods are higher priced than they otherwise would be if the merchant doesn't have to incur these fees, or if he's allowed to discount the fee for "non rewards" cards payments, which has a lower associated merchant fee.

Those who pay cash, use debit cards, and otherwise non rewards cards end up paying a higher price than necessary to subsidize the high rewards cards.  All things being equal, this inherently places an unfair burden on those living with limited income who can't or otherwise wouldn't qualify for "high" rewards cards.

I don't think the law will work, but the spirit of it is admirable.  Mainly, it won't work because merchants will *never* pass the savings to the consumer.

Message 13 of 17
jake619
Frequent Contributor

The precedent for Americans to pay for gas at increased cost already exists.  I suspect it holds true for food as well; hard to imagine otherwise.

Historically Visa has not permitted retailer surcharging, but allowing surcharging was a key provision required by merchants to settle long-standing litigation brought by a class of retailers in 2005. 

It will be interesting to see how the V and MA stocks fare in the next few weeks.  I can't see how this increases swipe fees.

Message 14 of 17
android01
Valued Contributor

If it was easy, we'd all be rich.

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 15 of 17
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

@LesWH wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

@LesWH wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

this is not what the country needs now its going to hurt alot of businesses and alot of people

I agree it's going to hurt people.  How is it going to hurt businesses?  They will be passing the fees on to the consumer.

becasue people will not buy stuff if the have to buy more...if a family needs to get food on credit becasue they can not afford to pay cash right away. its going to be a big deal soon and gas stations will most likly the first to impose this fee...

I think if people need food and need to pay with credit, they are going to pay that extra fee, rather than go hungery.  Samne with gas.  If they need to get to work/school/ wherever, they are going to get the gas....

Yes, they will pay...someone else. I certainly would.

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 16 of 17
android01
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

In my view, the credit cards rewards system (especially Amex) allows for a transfer of wealth to the credit card issuer and the cardmember.  

What I mean by "transfer of wealth" is the fees incurred by merchants to subsidize a card user's rewards is passed onto other consumers by the merchant.  So, in essence, because of the merchant fees associated with rewards cards, goods are higher priced than they otherwise would be if the merchant doesn't have to incur these fees, or if he's allowed to discount the fee for "non rewards" cards payments, which has a lower associated merchant fee.

Those who pay cash, use debit cards, and otherwise non rewards cards end up paying a higher price than necessary to subsidize the high rewards cards.  All things being equal, this inherently places an unfair burden on those living with limited income who can't or otherwise wouldn't qualify for "high" rewards cards.

I don't think the law will work, but the spirit of it is admirable.  Mainly, it won't work because merchants will *never* pass the savings to the consumer.

If you understood what kind of margins there are you wouldn't complain.   Folks that sell goods and services have to make *something* in order to stay in business to provide the consumer with what they want and need. 

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.