Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you SD or Use Your New Cards?

tag
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Do you SD or Use Your New Cards?

I'm curious as to how you handle newly issued credit cards.  Do you sock drawer them or do you immediately take it out for a shake down cruise?

I like to run it through at least one purchase and then PIF.  However, I'm not sure if there is an advantage to that or just sticking in the safe.

Share how you handle a new card.

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Do you SD or Use Your New Cards?

@BarryNTexas wrote:

I'm curious as to how you handle newly issued credit cards.  Do you sock drawer them or do you immediately take it out for a shake down cruise?

I like to run it through at least one purchase and then PIF.  However, I'm not sure if there is an advantage to that or just sticking in the safe.

Share how you handle a new card.

If it was off of a BT offer, then those have to be just paid down, no swipes for a while.

If I get DC, it is getting heavy usage Smiley Happy (the operative term is IF I get DC)

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 14
JSS3
Valued Contributor

I get cards now that I need; specifically for their 0% APR period, BT, and potentially higher limit than the last card. Being that I need them, I wish to use them immediately, but before I do, I always find out the due date and closing date so I can manipulate my stats. So my answer is immediately after finding out that new card's cycle.

Message 3 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I apply for cards that I have a purpose for so they get used.  The only cards that I SD are cards that aren't as useful to me anymore but may still serve a purpose such as utilization padding.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JSS3 wrote:

I get cards now that I need; specifically for their 0% APR period, BT, and potentially higher limit than the last card. Being that I need them, I wish to use them immediately, but before I do, I always find out the due date and closing date so I can manipulate my stats. So my answer is immediately after finding out that new card's cycle.

Follow JSS3 so I can establish a performance track record. It seems the first few months are often a start for CLI's at 2,3,4,6 and 12 months. Want to provide the card issuer a reason to look favorably upon my new account. After that the card(s) may get sd'd. Truth, I don't open accounts just to have them so often I closed many out of date cards (rewards wise). Took hits to the credit scores but the drops were minor and very short lived. The one danger on card closing is the potential loss of a card (good standing) at the ten year mark which can effect oldest account standing (made the mistake of having an old car loan deleted and it really hit my score).

Message 5 of 14
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I always try to use new cards I get in some way. If they don't serve any good use for me months down the line, I either SD or close them out completely like I did with my Wal-Mart and Amex Green cards recently.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 6 of 14
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

Typically, I like to use a new card, even if it's just for a small purchase. That way I'll know what the closing date and statement due date is up front.

Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 7 of 14
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

The only new card I sock-drawered was the Chase Slate.

Wrong app; but the card served its purpose for 5 months and then got closed and limits moved around.

I use all my other new cards with immediate effect.

Message 8 of 14
eddie84
Valued Contributor

I use mine right away and usually keep using it for awhile since they approved it, I ought to show them some love. Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 14
skigirl916
Established Contributor

All of my cards have served a purpose, primarily awards, so I've had to use them significantly in order to meet the spending requirement for the sign-up bonus.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.