Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you SD or Use Your New Cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you SD or Use Your New Cards?

I almost never SD a new card. I get cards for sign up bonuses or rewards strategies. The former requires heavier usage early on while the latter requires consistent usage for whatever category I got the card for. The only scenario where I would SD a new card is where I got it for a specific 0% purpose (e.g. 0% purchase financing or 0% BT). I generally don't sign up for cards for BTs or for purchase financing, so this is rarely the case. Most often my new cards get heavy use. 

Technically, I have SD'd my Discover IT card that I only got last month. But I use the card solely for online purchases this quarter and it has no place in my wallet for this quarter, unless I plan a trip to one of the few department stores it has a 5% deal with this quarter. But I don't really consider it SD'd since I have already put over 1k of online purchases through the card. 

Message 11 of 14
uswala
Senior Contributor

I use my new cards to for everything (except my 5% cashback categories on my other card) to get the sign up bonus. Once done I use them just for the specific category they give high cashback for.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me it depends on my needs and wants at the moment.

I need to spend $5,000 on CSP and SWA to get $1,300 in bonus rewards that I want.

Message 13 of 14
Chris679
Established Contributor

I only open new accounts to take advantage of the intro APR. They get used right away for that then some make it in the rotation while others end up in the SD.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.