Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you actually sign your cards?

tag
100down0monthly
New Contributor

Do you actually sign your cards?

I know, I know.  It plainly says "not valid unless signed" on the back, but I usually just write SEE ID and it's almost never questioned.  I've had a few people actually ask for my ID, but what is the point in putting your siggy on the back so a thief knows what it looks like?

Message 1 of 65
64 REPLIES 64
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Do you actually sign your cards?

I do not sign them, never had an issue with them being accepted either.  

Message 2 of 65
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

There was a discussion about this topic a couple months ago: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Do-You-sign-Your-credit-cards/m-p/2042953/highlight/tru...

I personally don't sign them as well and like you, I put "Check ID" instead of my signature.

Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 3 of 65
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I hadn't for awhile because my siggy does not fit and I'm lazy. However, I decided to lately and if a thief gets my cc - I'll just get new cc's. I'm more concerned with someone getting my cc through electronic means.
Message 4 of 65
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@100down0monthly wrote:

I know, I know.  It plainly says "not valid unless signed" on the back, but I usually just write SEE ID and it's almost never questioned.  I've had a few people actually ask for my ID, but what is the point in putting your siggy on the back so a thief knows what it looks like?

I do sign them, mostly because it's part of the exciting thrill of getting my new CC in the mail Smiley Very Happy

And like another poster mentioned, I'm not too worried about a would-be thief copying my signature. I can barely match my own signature, it varies on everything I sign, depending on my mood, the medium, etc. Since I check my accounts every day, all I would have to do is report fradulent activity and receive new cards. I don't really carry every single type of identification with me at the same time, so it's very unlikely for a thief to be opening up other accounts or dipping into other accounts in my name with my signature.

Message 5 of 65
enharu
Super Contributor

Nope I never sign them.

It's easier to dispute if i do lose the cards. Whomever that picks up the card might just copy your signature, making disputes harder
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 65
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@enharu

I'm sure you know issuers require cc's to be signed. An unsigned cc just allows someone to sign your name and then sign every transaction without any hesitation. I'd rather them, try to scrawl out my doctor looking signature each time! Lol
Message 7 of 65
enharu
Super Contributor

@lexie ah true that as well. I actually haven't given it much thought until u brought it up lol
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 65
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@enharu

The question came up on my debit card that was misplaced. My CU asked me if it was signed ( it wasn't cause I only use it at ATMs and for cashback) I figured PIN purchases - why sign? Since, like most debit cc it was a check card they were able to use it for a few hours before it was canceled. Can't say if they actually signed my cc but they sure misspelled my first name on each transaction.
Message 9 of 65
myjourney
Super Contributor

Never have never will sign why? If anyone asked they wouldn't know my signature anyway so what's the point Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.