Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you actually sign your cards?

tag
mcf
Contributor

Re: Do you actually sign your cards?

LOL paranoia!! haha use a sharpie!! Thats what i print, which is my sig.. lol. but its harder for someone to copy as the ink expands and you never know where the proper line is.. im saying as in if someone wants to try to copy your signature. plus a sharpie just looks nice! no smearing of or fading of ugly ink!! whos wit me?

Starting Score:567Walmart TU 701, Credit Sesame 722, credit secure 701 credit karma 694Last Score: 689 TU/Walmart CK 645 Goal Score:800 CLUB
Last HP:2/2015 Util:9% CL:82KTake the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 31 of 65
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

I write: "MUST CHECK ID" on my credit cards.
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 32 of 65
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@jakemod1 wrote:

There was a discussion about this topic a couple months ago: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Do-You-sign-Your-credit-cards/m-p/2042953/highlight/tru...

I personally don't sign them as well and like you, I put "Check ID" instead of my signature.

I sign all my cards, with the exception of the AMEX Clear, which really isn't made to have a signature on it!  Reasons for signing cited in the above mentioned thread

Message 33 of 65
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I started signing all my credit cards. Then I requested a replacement card for my Amex BCE that included the Expresspay Chip, and you cant sign that one. It comes with the credit card number plus a 3 digit code typed into the signature field.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 34 of 65
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

I always sign my cards, no exceptions.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 35 of 65
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

I write "Check ID" on the back. It's much better than leaving it blank...

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 36 of 65
Open123
Super Contributor

I’ve never understood the pre-occupation for “see id” in place of a signature. 

What should I do if I were to lose my D.L., am I supposed to refrain from using my replacement cards until the DMV sends me another one in 4 – 6 weeks?  Moreover, would the “ID” rule apply to debit cards too?  What about prepaid gift cards? 

So, if I were travelling and were to lose, misplace or have my ID stolen, I couldn’t use my credit cards even if I were to have them sent overnight to me simply because a merchant insists on checking IDs?

You really want minimum wage employees deciding on whose ID’s should be checked?  So, if I looked “honest,” then my story about losing my card will be believed and will be allowed to; conversely, if I looked like a “thief,” then I would be refused.

We really want this kind of “profiling?” 

And, to the individual dissenter, let’s assume we implement a national “see id” policy.  Well, what’s the “definition” of ID?  State issued IDs?  What about Passports?  Foreign passports?  Foreign passports from nations with whom we have no diplomatic relations?  What about Canadian IDs?  UK IDs?  How about Military ID?  Or, any kind of corporate photo ID?

Who decides what’s on the ID list.  Visa?  Federal or State level government?  Merchants?  Or, the minimum wage cashier from Hulga’s House of Pain?

Main reason why credit cards eschew “see id” is because of the above reasons.  Unless you implement across the board, there’s bound to be “issues” when merchants can request at their discretion, simply because a person “looks” like a credit card thief.

We just can’t pick and choose whose IDs we check.  Either we check all, or none.  If the former, what if you’re in a foreign country or out of state and lose your ID?  Better find a Western Union or someone to borrow cash from, I suppose.  

Here is Visa’s “official” position on unsigned cards and those with “see id.”

Visa - See Id.JPG

Message 37 of 65
JonStur
Established Contributor

I can never get a pen to work on mine so I just say the heck with it and already have my driver's license on deck..

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 38 of 65
HiLine
Blogger

@Open123 wrote:

I’ve never understood the pre-occupation for “see id” in place of a signature. 

What should I do if I were to lose my D.L., am I supposed to refrain from using my replacement cards until the DMV sends me another one in 4 – 6 weeks?  Moreover, would the “ID” rule apply to debit cards too?  What about prepaid gift cards? 

So, if I were travelling and were to lose, misplace or have my ID stolen, I couldn’t use my credit cards even if I were to have them sent overnight to me simply because a merchant insists on checking IDs?

The signature may be fake, and the cashier won't know if it is fake unless he/she sees your ID. "See ID" is a stronger security measure.

Message 39 of 65
Open123
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

The signature may be fake, and the cashier won't know if it is fake unless he/she sees your ID. "See ID" is a stronger security measure.

What would happen during the time I'm waiting for a replacement ID that I've lost or have gotten stolen?  Leave the ID request at the discretion of the merchant to make exceptions or not on requiring IDs?

Message 40 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.