Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you actually sign your cards?

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Do you actually sign your cards?

@Dubious wrote:

Well the whole signature thing to me seems a moot point. When I'm asked for ID (and it's not often), the cashier looks at the front of my card (I'm assuming at my name) and compares that to my ID. I've never seen anyone check for signatures. I'm not even so sure that I'm asked for ID after I sign something. 

You've never been to Las Vegas amirite? Smiley Wink

Message 51 of 65
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@Dubious wrote:

Well the whole signature thing to me seems a moot point. When I'm asked for ID (and it's not often), the cashier looks at the front of my card (I'm assuming at my name) and compares that to my ID. I've never seen anyone check for signatures. I'm not even so sure that I'm asked for ID after I sign something. 

You've never been to Las Vegas amirite? Smiley Wink

LOL no I have not

Message 52 of 65
Open123
Super Contributor

@Dubious wrote:

Merchants ask for ID to protect them, not the consumer (your or me). 

For fraud cases, Visa, MC and especially Amex will just reverse the charge often leaving the loss to the merchant.  I undertand and appreciate the Merchant's preference to minimize the loss by inconveniencing me, except it's against their T&C.  If they don't like the agreement, they can (1) negotiate a better deal; (2) don't take credit cards. If merchants don't like the deal, then do something about it.  No one forces them to accept the T&C.  However, I don't appreciate it when Merchants insult my intelligence with the "it's to protect you" rubbish.

So, either we "ethically" follow *ALL* the T&C, or none of it.  To adhere *only* the portions of the T&C we like, but openly disregard those we don't is pure hypocrisy.

Message 53 of 65
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Of course, asking for an ID is against the Visa/MC acceptance rules.  Edit: Lexie beat me to this.

Is this a real issue?  How many stolen cards are blocked by asking to see ID because of a See ID signature?   I would expect not many!  And against that, the probably even more insignificant risk that as the T&Cs require you to sign the card (with a handful of exceptions) and so your issuer in theory could refuse to honor your transactions and rewards. 

Since many here usually stake out the moral high ground, I'm surprised that there is the bending of the rules for very little gain!

Since it's against the rules, can you just refuse to show ID? I'm too much of a wimp to try it Smiley Very Happy

Message 54 of 65
Open123
Super Contributor

@Dubious wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Of course, asking for an ID is against the Visa/MC acceptance rules.  Edit: Lexie beat me to this.

Is this a real issue?  How many stolen cards are blocked by asking to see ID because of a See ID signature?   I would expect not many!  And against that, the probably even more insignificant risk that as the T&Cs require you to sign the card (with a handful of exceptions) and so your issuer in theory could refuse to honor your transactions and rewards. 

Since many here usually stake out the moral high ground, I'm surprised that there is the bending of the rules for very little gain!

Since it's against the rules, can you just refuse to show ID? I'm too much of a wimp to try it Smiley Very Happy

You know, when I have my ID, I'll just show it, mainly because I don't like to make a point for the sake of making a point. 

On the few occassions where I've lost my ID or don't have it, I offer to call the CC I'm using in front of them to tell my CC card is being refused.  I have *NEVER* seen a merchant not reverse course or take up my offer.  While they may request ID, a transaction cannot be refused if I don't show it.  For Amex, this is even more effective when you call card services and say "they refused to take my card." 

Unless in cases of suspected fraud, where Merchants are supposed to call using "code 10" verification.  I always offer to call my CC with my cell with them there to speak with them directly.  No one will take you up on this because they know it's a clear violation of their T&C.

PS - I remember some merchants used to print receipts with "no chargebacks allowed" hoping this would discourage some consumers.  The moment the CC issuers received one of these, they all disappeared.  Visa, MC, and Amex all have forms you can submit for any purchased where you were refused because of not showing an ID.  Again, they may ask, but they cannot refuse a purcahse without ID, unless there is suspected fraud, in which case they are supposed to call the CC issuer with "code 10 verification," and *NOTHING* else.  If further action is required, the CCs will initiate it, per the merchant agreement. 

Message 55 of 65
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

I’ve never understood the pre-occupation for “see id” in place of a signature. 

What should I do if I were to lose my D.L., am I supposed to refrain from using my replacement cards until the DMV sends me another one in 4 – 6 weeks?  Moreover, would the “ID” rule apply to debit cards too?  What about prepaid gift cards? 

So, if I were travelling and were to lose, misplace or have my ID stolen, I couldn’t use my credit cards even if I were to have them sent overnight to me simply because a merchant insists on checking IDs?

The signature may be fake, and the cashier won't know if it is fake unless he/she sees your ID. "See ID" is a stronger security measure.

Multiple people in this thread, other threads, and other sites have stated that most of the time cashiers don't ask for their identification. If you do it for security and it doesn't work, what is the point? Most places I go to don't ask for the card to swipe and I usually purchase under $25 so I don't even have to sign. A cashier in Walgreens asked for identification when I was buying gift cards with a credit card, even though none of the others ever had. She matched the signatures and also the signature I put on the terminal. So I reckon "SEE ID" would not have been sufficient for her.

Message 56 of 65
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Open is absolutely correct. I was asked to show my id on a properly signed Cc purchase and I refused. Cranky, no Starbucks. They wanted to deny my charge, so after reminding them of the fine and violation of their agreement - they changed their mind. I used to think they aren't aware and I should be ok with doing it but that's not my fault and as a consumer I have to protect myself. I'm not paranoid but seriously, how do I know if the cashier is using my id for identity theft? Stores have cameras, they may have a camera- and the last thing I want to deal with is fighting CRAs- identity theft

Just my .02
Message 57 of 65
Open123
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Open is absolutely correct. I was asked to show my id in a properly signed Cc purchase and I refused. Cranky, no Starbucks. They wanted to deny my charge after reminding them of the fine and violation of their agreement - they changed their mind. I used to think they aren't aware and I should be ok with doing it but that's not my fault and as a consumer I have to protect myself. I'm not paranoid but seriously, how do I know if the cashier is using my id for identity theft? Stores have cameras, they nave have a camera- and the last thing I want to deal with is fighting CRAs on

I always offer to call my CC in front of them when it comes up.

Message 58 of 65
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

What are the policies on signatures for AmEx and Discover? My BCE doesn't even say to sign it, as far as I can tell. Actually, now that I think about it, the only time I've heard "signature" mentioned I had swiped my BCE myself and the cashier asked for the card to verify signature, turned it over, no signature on it, then asked for my ID. 

Message 59 of 65
Open123
Super Contributor

@Dubious wrote:

What are the policies on signatures for AmEx and Discover? My BCE doesn't even say to sign it, as far as I can tell. Actually, now that I think about it, the only time I've heard "signature" mentioned I had swiped my BCE myself and the cashier asked for the card to verify signature, turned it over, no signature on it, then asked for my ID. 

Amex has no "official policy," except that a charge cannot be refused just because you don't show an ID.  With Amex, if you call with an ID refusal issue, they really don't take it seriously; however, if you call and say, "my card was refused," they spring into action, for some reason.  Amex is very protective of their cardmembers being "discriminated" against or singled out.

PS - For Discover, I have no idea.  I've yet to read their merchant agreement.

Message 60 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.