cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you agree with this man's opinion on rewards travel cards?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Do you agree with this man's opinion on rewards travel cards?

@Themanwhocan wrote:

What are these "checks" that he speaks of?

And if i'm reading this correctly, you can get some sort of a sign up 'bonus' or 'points' just for obtaining a credit card? This intrigues me, please, tell us more...

That would be stupid!   Next they'll tell you that you can get rewards just by spending on the card.  Why would any issuer do that?

Message 11 of 30
soliloquy
Regular Contributor

I'm sorry, have I said something wrong?

I know credit cards have checks, points, bonuses etc....obviously. I thought his post seemed a bit more complicated than just get a card with points/bonuses/etc. In fact, I was disappointed when I read that thread because the OP had applied for a Delta card based on his recommendation (which I already have) and he poo pooed it pretty badly saying it was one of the worst reward cards out there. So is everyone supposed to know this credit card matrix and the best card to get by osmosis. I may be an easy target but i don't get the facetiousness. I have thick skin (Army vet) so I can take it but I really came here looking for your expert opinions. 

Message 12 of 30
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@soliloquy wrote:

I'm sorry, have I said something wrong. 

I know credit cards have checks, points, bonuses etc....obviously. I thought his post seemed a might more complicated than just get a card with points. In fact, I was disappointed when I read that thread because the OP had applied for a Delta card based on his recommendation (which I already have) and he poo pooed it pretty badly saying it was one of the worst reward cards out there. So is everyone supposed to know this credit card matrix and the best card to get by osmosis. I may be an easy target but i don't get the facetiousness. I have thick skin (Army vet) so I can take it but I really came here looking for your expert opinions. 

They're playing....

Message 13 of 30
soliloquy
Regular Contributor

Okay. I can take a hazing. LOL. I thought maybe I was asking something that I should have already known. 

Message 14 of 30
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@soliloquy wrote:

Okay. I can take a hazing. LOL. I thought maybe I was asking something that I should have already known. 

Some know how to play with points, but this letter you dragged up is kinda like a slap in the face for what's common nowadays.

If you have specific questions about good cards, and signup bonuses..etc..etc, just ask the wonder twins...after all, I'm trespassing in their turf. I'm a "rebuilder."

Message 15 of 30
soliloquy
Regular Contributor

That's why I posted it. This guy JUST posted this yesterday and today. I wanted to know if he knows what he's talking about or if he's full of it. I knew you guys would know. 

I guess my question is, to be specific, is it better to just use one card for the purpose of points. If so, which of my cards would be the best one to use? Is there a risk of creditors closing accounts if you don't use their cards often? 

AMERICAN EXPRESS  (Blue Cash Everyday) $  12,600.00
AMERICAN EXPRESS  (Delta Skymiles Gold) $    2,000.00
BANK OF AMERICA (BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa)  $    8,000.00
CHASE BANK USA, NA  (Freedom) $    5,000.00
CHASE BANK USA, NA  (Slate) $    3,000.00
CITICARDS CBNA (Diamond Preferred) $  10,900.00
CITICARDS CBNA (Platinum Select) $    1,800.00
CITICARDS CBNA (Thank You) $    5,000.00
CITICARDS CBNA (Hilton Hhonors Visa Signature) $    6,400.00
DISCOVER BANK  (More) $  15,400.00
NATIONWIDE BANK   $    7,500.00
SYNCB/ROOMS TO GO   $    5,500.00
  $         83,100
Message 16 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@soliloquy wrote:

I'm sorry, have I said something wrong?

I know credit cards have checks, points, bonuses etc....obviously. I thought his post seemed a bit more complicated than just get a card with points/bonuses/etc. In fact, I was disappointed when I read that thread because the OP had applied for a Delta card based on his recommendation (which I already have) and he poo pooed it pretty badly saying it was one of the worst reward cards out there. So is everyone supposed to know this credit card matrix and the best card to get by osmosis. I may be an easy target but i don't get the facetiousness. I have thick skin (Army vet) so I can take it but I really came here looking for your expert opinions. 

Sorry, I was led astray.   I thought I gave my opinion in my original response.   There are dangers in overfocussing on one card or airline (or one anything) in credit   There also aren't universal opinions as you will see here, one person's bestest card ever is another's most useless.  

Delta has had a bad rap for the relative low value of its points, but other airlines have also devalued.  It depends where you want to go and whether you can use partners, so airline X might have a good reward system for domestic flights, OK for international on its flights, but very poor if you have to go to an international destination served by its partners.    And some want to use rewards for 1st class/business class flights, which might have a very different value than coach rewards.

Message 17 of 30
soliloquy
Regular Contributor

Okay, that makes sense. I figured there wouldn't be a quick and easy answer. 

I'll just have to do some research and figure out what works for my situation. 

Message 18 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@soliloquy wrote:

Okay, that makes sense. I figured there wouldn't be a quick and easy answer. 

I'll just have to do some research and figure out what works for my situation. 

If you narrow things down, you can (sometimes!) get useful advice on Flyertalk.   The sort of thing that they are wiling to help with is after information like:

I live near airport XYZ, but can also use ABC and DEF.  I am interested in taking a trip for two to a South American destination in about 18 months.  I currently have the following cards.....

and someone will usually take the time to give some advice about what cards you should app for to get the rewards needed.

Message 19 of 30
Jlu
Established Contributor

I didn't read past OP's post.

I agree with the part about picking one program and then using that card to pay for every expense where the fee to do so is < .01c. My definition of picking one program is not the same as his though. You should never ever ever build up points for a program that doesn't allow you to transfer out like SPG, UR, MR, TY, etc. It's a great way to lose half your earnings value due to a simple yet unforseen change in a reward programs T&C.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.