cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you always get a CLI on a Discover card when you do the cashback statement credit?

tag
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Do you always get a CLI on a Discover card when you do the cashback statement credit?

I have read here that after you redeem your cashback bonus into statement credit you usually get a CLI the next day, I have $50 right now and I have the option of doing it. So should I go for it to see what happens or do I wait since I already got a CLI for $1,000 that I asked for the beginning of January? Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do you always get a CLI on a Discover card when you do the cashback statement credit?

@Awesomely wrote:

I have read here that after you redeem your cashback bonus into statement credit you usually get a CLI the next day, I have $50 right now and I have the option of doing it. So should I go for it to see what happens or do I wait since I already got a CLI for $1,000 that I asked for the beginning of January? Thanks.

I can only speak from my experience.

I don't recall ever getting a CLI after redeeming my cashback but others might have a different experience.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Do you always get a CLI on a Discover card when you do the cashback statement credit?

No experience either, but if I had to guess, I would chalk this up to self selection.  People who have redeemed for a statement credit and then received a CLI shortly thereafter have posted about it, whereas those who didn't receive a CLI have had no reason to post. 

ETA:  I said no experience, but I meant to say that in my experience I had not received a CLI when redeeming cash back.  My discover card has been closed for some time though, I don't knoow when this practice started.  And I have no idea how close my redemptions were to other CLIs I had received as I wasn't tracking anything like that at the time.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
MrShush
Valued Contributor

It has worked for me 3 out of 4 times.
Message 4 of 5
BoSox617
Contributor

Hi Awesomely,

I received a customer-initiated CLI in November 2010, and  later applied $50 towards statement credit in January 2011.  I did not receive another CLI.  I did that as a test - I wanted to offset Christmas shopping, and simultaneously see if I would receive another CLI (I didn't think it likely, but it was worth a try at that time).

I would bet that statement credit would not result in another CLI since you just had one so recently.  You may want to consider waiting, or redeeming it for a partner gift card if any of them are worth your while.  But it would be interesting to see if other folks chime in with any different experiences.

Good luck Smiley Happy

Edited because I can't type!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.