cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you bring all your cards when you travel?

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Do you bring all your cards when you travel?

I know internationally it's different, but I'm speaking more so domestically since I have some trips coming up. I normally bring my entire wallet but I feel like this wouldn't be the best idea. I don't think I would need a gas/grocery card if I'm going on a trip. I'm thinking perhaps the card(s) I booked my travel on (normally CSP)my Venture for incidental travel purchases, a dining card and whatever card I'm currently using for non-category spending, which is my AAdvantage. Also Macy's if I decide to go shopping. Are there upsides/drawbacks to leaving some cards at home? What do you guys do? Last thing I want to do is be left vulnerable and out of money if heaven forbid I get pickpocketed.
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do you bring all your cards when you travel?

I don't just incase I lose said wallet, I like to have cards to tide me over if that was ever to happen, plus I couldn't possibly have them all with me eitherSmiley Happy

Message 2 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I carry a few cards always, about half my cards the majority of the time, and something in between there when I travel. 

Message 3 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't Macy's be looked up at the store? I have never tried but I know most store cards can be.

Message 4 of 38
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Yes it can but I've NEVER liked card look up. I used to work at Kohls and it was such a pain and I guess I've carried that over as the consumer lol
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 5 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:
Yes it can but I've NEVER liked card look up. I used to work at Kohls and it was such a pain and I guess I've carried that over as the consumer lol

Gotcha...

Message 6 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I always bring my entire wallet, but that's probably not the most sensible advice. Leaving some cards at home means if I lose my wallet I will not lose all of my cards (and not having any cards for 2 weeks sucks big time), while bringing too little (in term of credit limit) leaves you no room for emergency. One time my car broke down in the middle of no where, I had to tow it to the nearest town, stayed there for one extra day, and of course pay a small sum to repair the car.

What I would do, if I were to be careful, will be bring one or two travel cards that will give the best rewards (for hotel, dining, gas, etc) and one big CL card for emergency.  Some people concern that theft can go for a shopping spree with your big CL card but I don't see problems because we have zero fraud liability and usually credit card company catch fradulent activities pretty quickly.

@icyhot wrote:
I know internationally it's different, but I'm speaking more so domestically since I have some trips coming up. I normally bring my entire wallet but I feel like this wouldn't be the best idea. I don't think I would need a gas/grocery card if I'm going on a trip. I'm thinking perhaps the card(s) I booked my travel on (normally CSP)my Venture for incidental travel purchases, a dining card and whatever card I'm currently using for non-category spending, which is my AAdvantage. Also Macy's if I decide to go shopping. Are there upsides/drawbacks to leaving some cards at home? What do you guys do? Last thing I want to do is be left vulnerable and out of money if heaven forbid I get pickpocketed.

Message 7 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

To the main subject...

I don't carry all my cards. I will take a couple, leave one in the hotel safe, and another with my wife. I figure I will cover all my bases that way against lost or sudden fraud.

Message 8 of 38
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Ah! Leaving some in the hotel sounds like a good idea. With my luck I'll forget it as soon as I check out ☹️

Message 9 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:
Ah! Leaving some in the hotel sounds like a good idea. With my luck I'll forget it as soon as I check out ☹️

I am not a fan of the hotels with the key safes...what if I loose the key...that key just cost me a Ben Franklin. I like the touch pad, or credit card swipe safes.

I almost forgot a card last time in the safe.

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.