Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you carry all your cards?

tag
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Do you carry all your cards?

@UncleB wrote:

I'm actually 'evolving' when it comes to what I carry in my wallet.  Smiley Very Happy

I used to carry all my cards, but it was easy since I didn't have that many.  Now that I have a few I automatically SD any card that doesn't need to be used due to a BT, so that means my BBR is in my 'box' until further notice.  I also SD any card that I don't regularly use, which includes my USAA Visa and Quicksilver MasterCard. 

Eventually the Citi Diamond Preferred will be SD as well, but I still have a little work for it to do, so for the moment it gets to come along for the ride.  Smiley Wink

All other cards get stuffed into my aging leather wallet, which is shoved into my back pocket.  I regularly wear jeans, so my back pocket has 'stretched' to accommodate the fat wallet (my jeans are old as well... LOL).

I'm not super-stoked about having my debit cards with me, but at Wells Fargo that's how you identify yourself with a teller (which I use a few times a month) so I tend to keep that one handy, and my USAA debit card has no fees (and refunds all ATM fees) so I hang on to it as well, usually using it once or twice a month.

Eventually I plan on pruning down to the PRG, Blispay, BCP, Sam's Club MasterCard, and Quicksilver Visa.  I actually use each of those regularly with the exception of the Quicksilver, but I like carrying it since it's so darn reliable - it's like my 'rock'. 

Even that is a large number of cards to be carrying, but since I like to maximize my rewards I guess it's worth it.  I am please that I now have several cards in the SD since if I were to lose my wallet (heaven forbid) I would have have 'something' to use until my primary cards were replaced.

...but do you have a rubber band around it???

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 31 of 73
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Agreed, once your wallet goes 'Grand-Pa' style...ie
A rubber band holding ALL that crap in like a child of the depression carrying EVERY known 'valuable' WITH you...just in case.

It's time to reevaluate IMHO 😂

When I was younger I'd care too much about how my backside would look to the ladies but I'm old now, so it's about comfort and need.

Plus, we never know when we may be I'm an accident, go to the hospital, lose a wallet, God forbid get robbed, lose a wallet, have a car stolen etc...

Just don't get WHY carry each and every card issued to me in my possession at all times, it ain't THAT serious..... again, this also depends on how many cards one has but over 6 is like, really?

Maybe a few more biz cards but now we're near 10 cards + all the other crap we carry with us, as adults? No bueno

Plus, don't many of us have extra cards just for utilization purposes anyway?

It reminds me of college football, we had a gazillion dudes 'on the team ' but a lot of ppl never traveled WITH us for road games...ya know 'practice dummies '
I think I like that my SD cards have just been renamed practice dummies...they don't travel and barely dress for home games 😂

"Practice dummies"... I love it!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 32 of 73
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@tcbofade wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I'm actually 'evolving' when it comes to what I carry in my wallet.  Smiley Very Happy

I used to carry all my cards, but it was easy since I didn't have that many.  Now that I have a few I automatically SD any card that doesn't need to be used due to a BT, so that means my BBR is in my 'box' until further notice.  I also SD any card that I don't regularly use, which includes my USAA Visa and Quicksilver MasterCard. 

Eventually the Citi Diamond Preferred will be SD as well, but I still have a little work for it to do, so for the moment it gets to come along for the ride.  Smiley Wink

All other cards get stuffed into my aging leather wallet, which is shoved into my back pocket.  I regularly wear jeans, so my back pocket has 'stretched' to accommodate the fat wallet (my jeans are old as well... LOL).

I'm not super-stoked about having my debit cards with me, but at Wells Fargo that's how you identify yourself with a teller (which I use a few times a month) so I tend to keep that one handy, and my USAA debit card has no fees (and refunds all ATM fees) so I hang on to it as well, usually using it once or twice a month.

Eventually I plan on pruning down to the PRG, Blispay, BCP, Sam's Club MasterCard, and Quicksilver Visa.  I actually use each of those regularly with the exception of the Quicksilver, but I like carrying it since it's so darn reliable - it's like my 'rock'. 

Even that is a large number of cards to be carrying, but since I like to maximize my rewards I guess it's worth it.  I am please that I now have several cards in the SD since if I were to lose my wallet (heaven forbid) I would have have 'something' to use until my primary cards were replaced.

Not yet, but I probably need to!  Smiley Very Happy

Now that I have some cards in the SD the pockets are a little 'looser' than they used to be, and cards will slip out if I'm not careful.  It's either time for a new wallet for time to get out the rubber band!  Smiley Tongue

Message 33 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

I carry 3-5 with me, depending on bonus catagories and cards I am trying to build up spend on.

I have a second wallet for cards that don't get every day usage, but are important (I am about 2 hours from most major stores, so getting to Target/Best Buy/Sams/etc takes some planing) that I can grab if I am going somewhere.  Also, the wallet I grab if I am going on a trip.

Then a third wallet (actually a business card holder) that is my "sock drawer"

Message 34 of 73
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

Now that I have some cards in the SD the pockets are a little 'looser' than they used to be, and cards will slip out if I'm not careful.  It's either time for a new wallet for time to get out the rubber band!  Smiley Tongue

Well, like I mentioned in the other post -- I just recently ordered a new SD "wallet", comes in black and brown Smiley Very Happy

Edit: fixed the links

Message 35 of 73
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@tcbofade wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

This actually happened to me last week.  As my wallet slims down, it now fits rather loosely in the overhead compartment of my work van... fell out twice this week sending cards flying.

Got to find it a new spot in the van...

Message 36 of 73
tcbofade
Super Contributor

... or find me a rubber band!  Smiley Surprised

Message 37 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DantGwyrdd wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Well, like I mentioned in the other post -- I just recently ordered a new SD "wallet", comes in black and brown Smiley Very Happy

Edit: fixed the links

Now THAT is a wallet many members here could get attached to. LOL

Message 38 of 73
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Me ..I never know what card I'm going to use. I like choices, so nearly every card goes with me.
I used 4 different cards yesterday just traveling.
As I've stated before, do what feels comfortable for you. I have no problem shuffling cards.. I actually enjoy it. No cards are falling out of my wallet. Because I have the proper wallet to hold them...no rubber bands needed.lol

Message 39 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently only carry two credit cards (CSP and BCAP) because I'm working on the bonus point spending requirements...also my Chevron gas card and my debit card. Oh, I do also carry the AMEX Gold, since you never know when you might need a no-limit card to bail you out.

Message 40 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.