cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you change your payment due dates on your cards?

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do you change your payment due dates on your cards?

I put all my cards except for 2 at the same due date, statement dates are a little off as a result but it's pretty close.  My cash flow (currently) is sufficient to write the proverbial check for all my spending so I'm not worried about having them all at once.

The two are my traditional general spending cards: CSP for restaurants, Sallie for almost everything else I do regularly.  All on the single due date I found to be a little awkward though I could do that for the next few months with just Sallie hanging out on a nice Barclays offer... but these days with a Freedom, CSP, and hopefully a Freedom Unlimited in the semi-near future, I'm simply leveraging Chase's secondary report when the balance hits $0 and my Sallie is my reported balance card when I care.

Before this I did the whole pick a card based on reporting date... and that sucked in comparison.  Too much effort maintaining things when I cared to put lipstick on the pig.

        
Message 21 of 38
maxq
Regular Contributor

I have never changed any of my due dates on cards but I can definitely see everyone's reasons for doing so. I just wanted to add some people, maybe myself now that I think about it, may want to change dates so that if you have any recurring bills set up on your cards, you won't run into having that card report a balance depending on your situation. I know 2 of my heavier use cards I never have a balance report but I do have bills set up to hit those cards so I may want to check out my dates of payment and cutoffs.

Goal of 825+ Gardening since 05/05/2017
Message 22 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have my whole life set to be due on the 28th. Every single bill except my car insurance who said it would cost extra to move the date from the 26th to the 28th. I make payments to my various accounts as I have the money and then on the 28th I log into each account and double check that I've made a payment to them. Using this method I have never had a single late payment whih helps in the long run because I don't have to pay fees or penalty APRs.

I have one card (Cabelas) that made this a hassle, I had to fax them docs, but all the others I did on the website or by sending them an email/message.

Message 23 of 38
Austrausky
Established Member

I know this topic is a few months old, but since it was relevant I wanted to share a recent experience that I've had.  I requested changes to payment due dates on all of my cards back in August and they became effective in October.  As part of the process, I had an extended statement period (nearly 60 days) on each account to bring me to my new statement dates.  The process was super easy and everything seemed to transition perfectly.  

Recently, I got an alert on my credit monitoring service that my FICO score had decreased 32 points on TU.  When I read the alert, there was a new negative factor affecting my credit score that I had never heard of -- Lack of recent revolving account information.  I haven't pulled my reports yet (I get a new copy of each next week as part of my 3B subscription, so I am going to wait for that rather than pay for out-of-band), but I suspect that what has happened is that the extended statement period now reflects a "blip" in reporting on my revolving accounts where basically the credit bureaus didn't receive any data for one month.  For example:

Aug - Paid as agreed, $xxx balance

Sep - <blank>

Oct - Paid as agreed, $xxx balance

Again, unverified at this point, but the existence of this new negative factor along with the 32 point drop and timing with my statement / due date changes would seem to support having a blank or "missing" month and more to the point that it is treated similarly to a missed payment and may have a significant negative impact on your score (YMMV).

Current cards: Venture $6,500 | QuickSilver” $3,400 | “Discover $2,000
Current Scores: TU 641 / EQ 638 / EX 640
Message 24 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I made all of mine (4) so that the due date is the 15th. It's just easier for me to keep track of and my house payment is due on the 1st.... so that spaces my bills out perfectly.

Message 25 of 38
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

all cards and loans pay dates are on the 12th, I want it to be done all at once.  I push payments from bank of the west and does it overnight.  I usually pay a week early.  tmi but I am just waking up lol

Message 26 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get paid biweekly so I changed majority of them. I'm a bad bad boy without a whole month of savings so putting every single bill due the same day is potentially bad news. However I broke up the larger obligations opposite of the mortgage and it works. All utilities cell cable are paid on my CC so I make those due opposite of the larger mortgage and car payment and so on.
Message 27 of 38
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

I used to have all of mine to be due on or about the 15th of the month.

More recently, however, I have requested my Chase cards to be due at the beginning of the month.

There's a method to my madness. I've run into the problem of not having balances report (which is worth a drop anywhere from 13-23 points on each CR).   Having my Chase cards report at the beginning of the month: 1) allows me to report utilization when my other cards report as $0, 2) forces me to receive more updates from My FICO, and 3) allows me to have midcycle reporting, as Chase will report a $0 balance once paid in full. 

Message 28 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have all my cards due on or around the same time. It allows me to never forget when my bills are due! Lol!
Message 29 of 38
amakol
Regular Contributor

Of course. I'd miss payments constantly if all my cards weren't due at the same time.

My ideal date is anything close to the 7th-10th. That way the new month can roll in and I know I have the first week to get online and pay.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.