cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you check your available credit on a regular basis now?

tag
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: Do you check your available credit on a regular basis now?

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know.  I've done it for a really long time, 'contiuously checking my issuer's web site' and have never had any problems, and have continued to get CLI's.

i'd imagine more people now than in recent times are checking a lot.  i too have always been a checker, and so far never a (detectable) problem...  i'd be willing to bet issuer data suggests that frequent checkers as a group are not particularly 'high risk' and shows that they make timely payments (many pif)...it just seems somewhat unlikely that checking has in any way been correlated affirmatively with default, although i could be wrong.  apparently how it's considered as a factor, if at all, remains a trade secret for the time being.

I really dont think checking your accounts often is seen as high risk. Actually, i think the opposite. People who check their accounts are much more on top of their accounts and better aware of their situation. They are more incline to be better customers than not. (again my assumption and not fact).

That being said, i check my reports everyday. I bookmark all of my accounts, CCs, checking, saving, 401k, everything.

I check balances, aprs, credit limits, due dates, statement dates, everything lol

I make sure there are no pending charges and the limits are where they suppose to be.

Mentally, it does make me happy for some reason.lol

Message 31 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Until now, I've actually assumed that checking CC websites too often could trigger unwanted attention, as I would assume it's easy for banks to monitor this.  The responses above mark the first time I've actually considered the possibility that maybe frequently logging in may actually prove beneficial, rather than harmful.  I'll probably just keep on checking once or twice a month, only because I'm so busy and have so many accounts, but it would be great to get some insider perspective on this to know how (and if) certain banks use this kind of information.
Message 32 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'll probably just keep on checking once or twice a month, only because I'm so busy and have so many accounts...

For people with lots of accounts, I have one word (or website) for you:  Yodlee.com

You can link all your online accounts to their site, and then you can see your credit limit, current balance, util, and APRs all on one page.  

Lots of other neat information, like cash flows, expense charts, and net worth, too.  I just check that site everyday, and Chase, as Yodlee doesn't show Chase transactions that are somehow between pending and posted (they show up as posted, but are not included in the current balance).

I do cross check my transaction categories with BofA's "My Portfolio" which is really the same thing, but a slightly older version of Yodlee, but you need to have a BofA account to log in, whereas Yodlee is free for everyone.

Message 33 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know.  I've done it for a really long time, 'contiuously checking my issuer's web site' and have never had any problems, and have continued to get CLI's.

i'd imagine more people now than in recent times are checking a lot.  i too have always been a checker, and so far never a (detectable) problem...  i'd be willing to bet issuer data suggests that frequent checkers as a group are not particularly 'high risk' and shows that they make timely payments (many pif)...it just seems somewhat unlikely that checking has in any way been correlated affirmatively with default, although i could be wrong.  apparently how it's considered as a factor, if at all, remains a trade secret for the time being.

This has entered my mind and I do check often.

Message 34 of 41
Scamp
Valued Contributor

annointedWRX wrote:
Until now, I've actually assumed that checking CC websites too often could trigger unwanted attention, as I would assume it's easy for banks to monitor this.  The responses above mark the first time I've actually considered the possibility that maybe frequently logging in may actually prove beneficial, rather than harmful.  I'll probably just keep on checking once or twice a month, only because I'm so busy and have so many accounts, but it would be great to get some insider perspective on this to know how (and if) certain banks use this kind of information.

Whenever I've mentioned to various CCCs' CSR's that I check all my accounts every day, their response invariably has been positive - not just frontline CSR's, but supervisors, account managers and credit analysts all have commented that my doing so was a good thing.

I think CCCs think that people who pay close attention to their accounts are less likely to pay late, miss payments, go over limit, etc., than folks who don't.

My 2 bits.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 35 of 41
oracles
Valued Contributor

I agree 100%.

It shows that you are on top of your finances.

Message 36 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I'll probably just keep on checking once or twice a month, only because I'm so busy and have so many accounts...

For people with lots of accounts, I have one word (or website) for you:  Yodlee.com

You can link all your online accounts to their site, and then you can see your credit limit, current balance, util, and APRs all on one page.  

Lots of other neat information, like cash flows, expense charts, and net worth, too.  I just check that site everyday, and Chase, as Yodlee doesn't show Chase transactions that are somehow between pending and posted (they show up as posted, but are not included in the current balance).

I do cross check my transaction categories with BofA's "My Portfolio" which is really the same thing, but a slightly older version of Yodlee, but you need to have a BofA account to log in, whereas Yodlee is free for everyone.

I second this recommendation. I have set up the Dashboard as start page, which gives you an overview over all of your finances. You can go to one page with all things credit card. The limits are shown graphically, and the %util is given in a table below.

The site is really neat. You can even link all your rewards programs and see how far you are at different places.

As to pending charges, you can find them in the transactions (I like that you can see all your transactions of all your accounts in one list), often as "uncategorized". With Chase, I have to click on the actual credit card info in Yodlee to see them.

Message 37 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I second this recommendation. I have set up the Dashboard as start page, which gives you an overview over all of your finances. You can go to one page with all things credit card. The limits are shown graphically, and the %util is given in a table below.

The site is really neat. You can even link all your rewards programs and see how far you are at different places.

As to pending charges, you can find them in the transactions (I like that you can see all your transactions of all your accounts in one list), often as "uncategorized". With Chase, I have to click on the actual credit card info in Yodlee to see them.

I have a BofA card (2, actually), and I was tempted to use the "My Portfolio" feature, but was leary about putting ALL of my financial information in one place, that could be hacked into.

I have 22 cards, so this could be a huge time saver for me. Nobody has my reservations about putting all your finances into an Internet site? Am I being paranoid?

(As for Chase, btw, I have the same problem with pendings and posteds on their OWN site. Smiley Wink)

Message 38 of 41
oracles
Valued Contributor

I agree with you cheech,

I feel somewhat concern to put all my info in one place.

great idea but very concern. I dont think i will do it.

I am content with checking each cc website individually.

Message 39 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@oracles wrote:

I agree with you cheech,

I feel somewhat concern to put all my info in one place.

great idea but very concern. I dont think i will do it.

I am content with checking each cc website individually.

Well, I'm glad it's not just me, then. I think I'll just stick with my little AOL Toolbar links and keep up with my one-by-one due dilligience.

Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.