Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you ever have app remorse?

tag
brother7
Established Contributor

Do you ever have app remorse?

I just did.

Earlier this month, I applied for the Paypal Extras Mastercard. I was tempted by the 3x points on gas and restaurants. Someone in the myFICO forums pointed out that the point redemption rate wasn't 1:1 but that wasn't a dealbreaker for me so I applied anyway. Approved for $1500, not great but not horrible.

Today, I take the time to read the Reward Program Terms: "accrued Reward Points that are not redeemed will be forfeited 24 months (2 years) after they were first accrued". If I would have known that before, I wouldn't have applied.

Moral of the Story: Research the reward terms BEFORE applying Smiley Sad

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Do you ever have app remorse?

Its really not that bad of a card really especially if you do a lot of Ebay or purchase alot of things off other members on forums so you can send paypal.  Plus its backed by GE so the account will grow.  If you were in it solely for the rewards then I can understand

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 16
Involus
Regular Contributor

I have, like the Cap One Best Buy store card - apped in store instant approval of $1500 but now I'm like why....I don't shop there often enough to justify it, guess I'll just have to go get a TV and a few Xbox games or something.

Message 3 of 16
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

I sorta do with my Sapphire :/ still don't have it in my hands yet, but it was one of those spur of the moment things while on a "future possible vacation" high...was really looking for those points...I would've wanted to garden a lot longer then go for my 6th card (was looking at the VentureOne for my go-to travel card with no annual fee...yeah yeah i know, it's CapOne, but...). It's alright though! By the time I'll be wanting to do hardcore spending towards travel, I'm sure I'll have offers to upgrade to CSP!

Message 4 of 16
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

The Walmart store card I apped for/received with $600 CL. The $20.00 back on your first purchase over $100.00 & 15¢ off per gallon seemed great. Then I remembered a.) I absolutely hate all of the Walmarts near me & b.) the nearest Walmart gas station would cost more in gas just to get there to "save". I guess I will keep my eye on online shipping sales. 

Message 5 of 16
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Don't regret it! The apr sucks on my Paypal MC, but man has my limit grown!!! Just dont carry a balance. The interest is awful! Lol

I regret apping for Citi Diamond Preferred as I got denied :-(
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 16
Epcot
Valued Contributor

I regret the app every time I got a denial! Smiley Very Happy But I think I only regret 1-2 accounts.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 7 of 16
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I only regret the denials, I have never applied for a card, I did not want.

Message 8 of 16
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

Macy's Store Card. :/ I got it because I could get 20 bucks off this trench coat I really wanted, and I was 18 at the time and didn't know it was a "credit" card...thought it worked like a gift card.  My credit line on it is only $100, lmao!  But it's my second oldest tradeline, so I'll just leave it in the sock drawer.

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 9 of 16
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

learn from your mistakes! 

i regret nothing!!! 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.