cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have to carry a balance to your statement in order to get rewards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have to carry a balance to your statement in order to get rewards?

I just got a Chase Freedom Card. I am curious - do I have to show a balance on my statement in order to get rewards?

In  other words, does just the act of buying something give me the reward, or does it have to show up on my statement (at that point unpaid) in order for me to get the reward?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you have to carry a balance to your statement in order to get rewards?

The act itself... no returned merchandise as cash or points would be removed.
Message 2 of 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Well, my rewards cards only add the rewards to my account when they cut the statement.  So although I get them by spending the money, I can't use them until I get a statement.  They exist in limbo until the statement causes them to be born  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 7
NowIcare
Regular Contributor

I can help with this one.......... Smiley Wink
I too have a Chase Freedom card.  It is awesome and no you do not have to carry a balance I always PIF as soon as the balance shows online, the rewards show up on the next statement. (no need to pay finance charges)

Just for paying bills like I normally would (cable,cell,phone,internet) I get money back woo hoo
Gotta start using it for gas too.

Message Edited by NowIcare on 05-06-2008 01:36 PM
NO SIGNATURE FOR ME
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

MidnightVoice wrote:
Well, my rewards cards only add the rewards to my account when they cut the statement.  So although I get them by spending the money, I can't use them until I get a statement.  They exist in limbo until the statement causes them to be born  Smiley Very Happy

That's also true with my Chase Freedom account.  With Chase, you can pay your account in full before the statement closes and still receive rewards.   But your rewards totals are calculated on the closing date.  So like MidnightVoice noted, you can't use the rewards until a new statement is generated. 
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

BAH!!! I cant wait to get my score up so I too can earn rewards!!!  

BAH!
Message 6 of 7
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

Well, my rewards cards only add the rewards to my account when they cut the statement. So although I get them by spending the money, I can't use them until I get a statement. They exist in limbo until the statement causes them to be born Smiley Very Happy

That's also true with my Chase Freedom account. With Chase, you can pay your account in full before the statement closes and still receive rewards. But your rewards totals are calculated on the closing date. So like MidnightVoice noted, you can't use the rewards until a new statement is generated.

I concur. I have a Chase Freedom Visa and pay in full immediately when the transactions post online. I see my new rewards balance when the next statement cuts.

I'd also like to assert that I love this card. It works out really well for me, however my shiny new BOA World Points card is going to start competing with it.
Here we go again...
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.