Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have to wait a year to upgrade Chase Sapphire to Prefered

tag
ddemari
Super Contributor

Do you have to wait a year to upgrade Chase Sapphire to Prefered

When I applied for the Chase Sapphire card, I was stupid thinking both cards are made out of metal Smiley Sad

I had applied for the Chase Sapphire card about 3 weeks ago and got a 2 week message. Yesterday, I saw the account pop up on my chase homepage wth a 10k limit. 

I am really bummed though because I wanted the metal card, which I know is silly but still I really wanted the metal card lol.

Chase will not let me change to prefered right away, right? Probably have to wait one year? 

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you have to wait a year to upgrade Chase Sapphire to Prefered

Silliness aside you might be able to contact them by phone or secure message and explain that you applied for the non AF version by accident. With your limit it may not be an issue for them to switch it now. Worth a try!
Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just apply for the CSP outright! You'll get the bonus 45K if you spend $3,000 in 3 months.

Message 3 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they agree to acknowledge the error shouldnt the bonus still be available once the switch is made?
Message 4 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, generally the CARD act will make you wait a year before you are switched to a product with a higher AF.

But, lets also address the silliness!   Make sure you know the critical features of each of these cards before attempting to switch, so you can see if it is worthwhile.  Unless you luck out, by PCing you lose one of the major advantages of the first year of CSP, the large bonus.

And have you seen the CSP?  For all the "it's meeetttaaalll" stuff on here, it really isn't that different.  (And even if it was, but that's another story!)

Message 5 of 33
ddemari
Super Contributor

Well I dont want to reapply for the card. Granted they only do a TU pull for the Sapphire, I dont want any more hits. 

I am so bummed that I did this! I have not even received the card yet though. Maybe they will change it? I think I will send a secure message and see what they say. Probably will say no but worth a shot! thanks!

Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes, generally the CARD act will make you wait a year before you are switched to a product with a higher AF.

But, lets also address the silliness!   Make sure you know the critical features of each of these cards before attempting to switch, so you can see if it is worthwhile.  Unless you luck out, by PCing you lose one of the major advantages of the first year of CSP, the large bonus.

And have you seen the CSP?  For all the "it's meeetttaaalll" stuff on here, it really isn't that different.  (And even if it was, but that's another story!)

I was rather unimpressed with the packaging of the CSP. Smiley Frustrated

Even my Discover It with just over 1/3 of the limit came in a nice package.

Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover is pretty awesome with presentation Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 33
Jlu
Established Contributor

I've noticed an overabundance of suckers for marketing on this forum - lol - I get it, I'm one too.

For a time I was seriously considering the Ritz Carlton card for nothing else other than the packaging and weight of the card. Pretty rediculous. 

Mod cut-inappropriate language

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 9 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jlu wrote:

I've noticed an overabundance of suckers for marketing on this forum - lol - I get it, I'm one too.

For a time I was seriously considering the Ritz Carlton card for nothing else other than the packaging and weight of the card. Pretty rediculous.

LOL.

If the airline credit on the RC card was usable on airfare itself i'd apply for it as it would drastically reduce the actual AF.

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.