cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you know your credit limit to all your cards?

tag
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Do you know your credit limit to all your cards?

Just curious. So one of the things I was shocked to learn when I started my job is that no one knows their crdeit limit! After being around credit forums for several years now I thought knowing your credit limit is just something people KNOW. Boy, was I wrong. One of the security questions we ask is product details, and the credit limit on the card is considered a product detail.

It has gotten to the point where asking about credit limits is my last option. These are my usual responses:

"Uuuhh..."

"I think it's a couple thousand..." (actually it's $25,000)

"I dunno, somewhere between $5-$15,000..."

"Why can't you just ask me the year/make/model of my car?"

"It has a credit limit?"

One day I was sitting at home and looked at my SO and asked him "So what's your credit limit on your new card?" Blank stare. Followed by the notorious "Uuuhh..." and then "Didn't you tell me it was a $1000 or something?" I told him it was $4800. Smiley Indifferent

How do people get away with not knowing these things? Smiley Surprised

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Do you know your credit limit to all your cards?

tee hee - my dad doesn't know his credit limit on the visa that he put me on as AU.  "It's either 5 or 10 thousand" - I think people with good credit only use credit when they need to and just don't pay attention to these things that us repair-ers are hyper-vigilant about. 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 26
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

In times past, the limits were high enough that it was not an issue for me.  And I mostly used my AMEX green card, so no limit.   So I usually did not know, because I did not need to know.   

Now that I am rebuilding, I know them all.  

Most people do not have the capacity to know all the details of their lives.   Most remember only what is interesting or important to them.  

I bet there are many things more important than your credit limits, that you don't know about yourself.

Message 3 of 26
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I know the limits on all of my cards. I think that those of us who frequent these forums are not a representative sample, though. We tend to be keenly interested in credit, so it's not surprising if forum members know their limits.

As for me personally, I'm a bit strange that way... I also know my bank's routing number off the top of my head -- in addition to my account numbers, LOL!!!! Smiley Wink

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 4 of 26
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Not only do I know my credit limits, I also keep a running total in my head and what date it will be PIF.  Not to bad for an old man. Smiley Wink

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 5 of 26
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

Most I think have an idea, but not many know their exact CL. I never knew mine until I started rebuilding. My hubby doesn't know the Cl's on all his cards either.. lol.. I think people only check when they need to make a larger purchase. But I don't think it abnormal. Remeber, most people aren't fanatics about their credit cards.

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't know my credit limits until a couple months ago when I started looking for a mortgage and learned about FICO scores. When I got each card, I'm sure I looked at the limit and knew that I was never going to spend up to what my credit card limits were. I think occassionally if I was making a larger purchase I would check. Can't remember the last time I did that though.

I was also surprised when I got my credit reports to find out that I had a LOC with HSBC and that it was reported as a revolving account. Guess it helped with my utilization since I didn't use it.

I like to charge what I can on credit cards for the rewards, but I PIF every month.

Message 7 of 26
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@tinuviel wrote:

As for me personally, I'm a bit strange that way... I also know my bank's routing number off the top of my head -- in addition to my account numbers, LOL!!!! Smiley Wink

YES! I'm not the only one. I also memorized my CC info for my two top used CCs (Amex and NFCU). It's a pain to have to look for a checkbook or wallet for a CC to pay something over the phone or online. Lot easier to memorize it.

Message 8 of 26
laz98
Senior Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

YES! I'm not the only one. I also memorized my CC info for my two top used CCs (Amex and NFCU). It's a pain to have to look for a checkbook or wallet for a CC to pay something over the phone or online. Lot easier to memorize it.

count me in.  i used to know all of our card numbers, before we got so many.  now i know about half of them by memory.  i do know all the routing & account numbers for our bank accounts, though Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 26
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I don't know my bank's routing number and acct number but I do know the exp date and the cvv code on the back of my cards off the top of my head. Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.