Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you like your Macys card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you like your Macys card?

Please share if you have a love or hate relationship with your macys card. I dont know if I want someone to talk me into or out of applying for it. But Id like to hear your personal opinion and pro's/con's. Online reveiws are all over- some horrible (ck), some wonderful. For some reason, Ive always wanted a macys card. Seems like itll be a good card to have for the long term.

So my fico friends, Do you like your Macys card?
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Do you like your Macys card?

Overall quite like it, primarly due to excellent growth potential over time (400 to 5 digit CL). Good builder card. If Macy's is a store you like to shop, go for it.

Of couse, don't ever carry a balance on it, there's a usurious APR on both store and Amex versions. No true store card to Amex upgrade- it reports as a new account.

Nordstrom gets it right with high level customer service, a true upgrade option, tiered APRs, Nordstrom notes, it's a better credit product overall.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 23
madnutz
New Contributor

I got the card originally because it was the only place that would give me credit Smiley Tongue It had a 300 dollar credit limit when approved about 3 years ago.  Now I have a bunch of other cards all that give me points and don't try to get me for a crazy APR.  So 3 years ago I liked it because it was the only one I could get, now ... not so much.

Message 3 of 23
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

I Heart my Macy's card, because Macy's is my favorite department store, therefore my opinion is definitely biased. Smiley Very Happy

Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 4 of 23
learningcredit101
Established Member

Its a great card if you shop frequently at macys. The discounts you receive are incredible and even more if you work for them. I remember when i worked at macys there was a jacket i wanted that was 350, so i waited for it to be marked down then used my macys coupon and employee discount and got it for 50 dollars! Talk about a bargain! Ive never had problems with customer service or anything. 

Ex: 745
Macys: 2.5k
Wells fargo:2.6k
Amex Hilton Hhonors Surpass: 2k
Amex PRG: NPSL
Citi AA: 3.4k
Message 5 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

APPLY IN STORE whatever you do... Macy's and Bloomingdales so dislike and don't trust applications done online.

As others have stated if you shop at Macy's the discounts can't be beat.

You can pretty much ask for CLI's every 3 months if you are using the card even the tiniest amount and can ask big!

I have seen store card limits over $27k before.

Message 6 of 23
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Had a Macy's card years ago and loved it 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 7 of 23
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I got mine a couple months ago when I was shopping for suits.  I haven't used it since, I really need to make a small purchase once in awhile on it.  I think store acct is $1400 imit and Amex acct is $6k limit, I honestly forgot.  I have a bad habit of leaving store cards in the car then forget to use them.

Message 8 of 23
sunkissed
Established Contributor

The Macy’s card is worthwhile if you like to shop at Macy’s and you plan to PIF every month you that you use the card (The interest rate is astronomical, like most store cards).

I have had the store card (not the Amex version) since Aug 2013.  Macy’s sends more coupons than I can manage to use – especially since their coupons are usually re-usable, so the cashier will hand the coupon back to me after the transaction.  I can re-use it until it expires.

Of course, if you have a credit card that has “department stores” as a bonus category, that card may be more useful to you.

I do like my Macy’s card.  I do not like their website!  It’s doesn’t give all the information I would like to have.  For example, I cannot see my credit limit; I cannot determine my status (preferred, elite, or premier elite), I cannot track my progress towards status for the next year.  I think the people with the Amex version may have a slightly different website experience than I do.  Maybe someone else can comment on it if it is at all important to you.

Good luck in whatever you decideSmiley Wink

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for sharing! Please continue to write your opinions, as Im sure this post will help others as well in the future.

Ive read reviews that complain of the difficulty making payments, anyone agree? Im not worried about the Apr, as i never let store cards report a balance more than one month.

Yes CreditAddict, ive read all your posts over the years advising people to apply in store, and im not gonna turn down good advice. I plan on applying tomorrow in store as im going xmas shopping there anyways. Thanks!

Hopefully, Ill have better luck than I did a year ago, but back then I had a 561 and no clue lol. Ill admit, im a little concerned because I regret getting my two comenity store cards (which Ive never even used!). But Macys, i actually want and will definately use. I believe its the only store card (besides Overstock), that Ill actually use and keep open long term.

Wish me luck! I really dont want a denial, only baddie on my report beside having newer accts and inquiries is my utility bill, which is still open but in a matching payment plan.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.