cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need good credit to get an store credit card ... Macy's? Sears? Etc??

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do you need good credit to get an store credit card ... Macy's? Sears? Etc??

Macys, like Bloomingdales, is a great card to have. They are good on CLIs. I got mine in October for $300 and got a CLI to $600 within 3 months. I had only spent about $200 during those 3 months. Bloomingdales is the same. Started with $300 and it went to $400 in three months while only making a grand total of $40 ever on it.

Macys does have different cards, but it looks like they will assign you a new card based your purchases. I don't have the Visa, but I saw someone post that it came automatically.

I was approved with scores around 630 or so on EX.

Also, I have Target and was approved with the same scores for $200.

I was just declined for JC Pennys with EQ at 644 or so.
Message 11 of 35
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Do you need good credit to get an store credit card ... Macy's? Sears? Etc??

@Anonymous wrote:
mj
what state are you in? I'm intersted in possibly a kohl's card. I am in Fl ex score is 614.
thanks for the info

Kohls is Chase, and on the EDIT! credit pulls database, the approvals are all over the place. I think you might need to get your score a bit higher before you'll get the card, but you might get lucky.

Message Edited by cheddar on 03-27-2008 01:06 AM
Message 12 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
mj
what state are you in? I'm intersted in possibly a kohl's card. I am in Fl ex score is 614.
thanks for the info

I'm in CA, and I was approved for Kohl's with a score lower than yours.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Message 13 of 35
moonman
Frequent Contributor

some store cards(Macy's, Dillards,target ect) allow some blemishes on your credit so the approval rate is pretty high.some of them will give you a low limit compared to if you would have applied in the store which process a higher limit.
Message 14 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

er

what is the credit pulls database you mentioned??

thanks!
Message 15 of 35
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

The Target Red Card is the plain old Target store card. It had a $200 limit.

I'm not sure which Macy's card it was. I applied in the store and was declined.
Here we go again...
Message 16 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I might be the odd ball case but I applied for Target in November they pulled EQ in FL. My score at the time  was 487 I know I don't know why I even applied (I had a 150 past due with Cap ONe that they did not want to work with me). I received the Target card with a $200 limit three months later they raised the credit limit to $500. I also applied for a Macy's card after I GW a couple lates from 2002. They pulled Ex in Florida and I assume my score was around 500 since it was the same time as the Target card) I was approved for $100. I'm not sure if the fact that I had a Macy's visa before and a store card that was closed had anything to do with it.

Hope this gives hope to someone who does not have good credit but wants to get a card.
Message 17 of 35
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
er
thanks!

Go to EDIT! and sign up or log in. Then click on the forums link. In the forums area there is a menu across the top. It has a button that says "Credit Pulls"

Message Edited by cheddar on 03-27-2008 12:48 AM
Message 18 of 35
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

My Macy's card came with an initail credit limit of a whoppong 100 bux....On the third statement it got bumped to 300.  But somehow a hard pull showed up on my CR and I didn't ask for the CLI.  Can they do that?
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 19 of 35
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@erchambers wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks!
Go to EDIT! and sign up or log in. Then click on the forums link. In the forums area there is a menu across the top. It has a button that says "Credit Pulls"

Message Edited by cheddar on 03-27-2008 12:48 AM

Smiley Very Happy

Sorry, guys, I'm guessing that this was a reference to one of the different credit forums that we clump under the phrase of "The Dark Side," as they don't feel particularly constrained by ethics and such. As part of our Terms and Conditions, we don't publish links or referrals to them.

By the way, for anyone considering Sears, the store card itself can be weirdly difficult to get. A co-worker has a Discover card, but she can't get a Sears card, although she's tried for 20 years, and her druggie ex-husband was given one. She finds this pretty funny.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.