cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you plan to use all of your tax return to pay off DEBT?

tag
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Do you plan to use all of your tax return to pay off DEBT?

Thia has been an interestiung thread & I can certainly see both sides of the coin as far as exemptions go & big refund vs small or no refund.

I normally claim 1 all year, get a decent refund (especially since I bought my house!!!).  I decided to change exemptions to 5 about mid year, just as sort of a test at tax time.  This years refund is about 1500.  I think I might go & change exemp to 3.  Keep it sort of middle of the road.  I certainly don't want to OWE a dime!

just my .02

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 31 of 49
DI
Super Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:
It's funny how some people don't mind loaning the government money at no interest and getting a refund of their own money after filing their taxes, yet they wouldn't even consider paying a dime in an AF for an AMEX card.  Money is money.  Just a curious observation at how people view things.

I'm guilty of that. 

Message 32 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BungalowMo wrote:

I normally claim 1 all year, get a decent refund (especially since I bought my house!!!).  I decided to change exemptions to 5 about mid year, just as sort of a test at tax time.  This years refund is about 1500.  I think I might go & change exemp to 3.  Keep it sort of middle of the road.  I certainly don't want to OWE a dime!

just my .02

I don't mind owing a few hundred. In fact, I usually do. As long as I don't owe so much that I trigger penalty provisions (as happened after my wife retired & received an unexpectedly large severance payment), I'm OK with writing a check at filing time.

But it really bothers me when I screw up & get a large refund. I'm a compulsive saver (which is probably why I don't get into CC trouble in the 1st place) & I want every dollar that's not actually in my pocket to be earning interest 24/7.

Message 33 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

A good choice if you want to lend Uncle Sam some money is to get some Bonds. You even get some dividends back. Try to use a tax calculator (if you have predictable income and expenses) and break even. Don't owe money, or you'll owe a penalty fee.

This year I'm expecting the grand total of $23 back. Direct deposit and going straight to make a CC payment. In the meantime I bought into Government Credit Bonds, made some cookies (when interest rates are low, Bonds do better!!!). Which I'll sell around November to pay off my auto loan.

@DI wrote:

@Watchmann wrote:
It's funny how some people don't mind loaning the government money at no interest and getting a refund of their own money after filing their taxes, yet they wouldn't even consider paying a dime in an AF for an AMEX card.  Money is money.  Just a curious observation at how people view things.

I'm guilty of that. 

Message 34 of 49
StarraeAday1
Regular Contributor

The point here is that the people who get large refunds for whatever reasons aren't sitting up on a high and mighty throne judging those who try to break even as seems to be happening the other way around. Do it however you want to, and don't worry about what other people are doing. Their financial situation has nothing to do with your ability to have every single penny earning interest every single second. Get over yourself.
Foreclosure - June 2017
Ch. 7 BK - Discharged January 2018
6/2020 - EQ 680 | EX 691 | TU 707
Message 35 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StarraeAday1 wrote:
The point here is that the people who get large refunds for whatever reasons aren't sitting up on a high and mighty throne judging those who try to break even as seems to be happening the other way around. Do it however you want to, and don't worry about what other people are doing. Their financial situation has nothing to do with your ability to have every single penny earning interest every single second. Get over yourself.

And just be thankful the government still gives us tax deductions and credits!
Message 36 of 49
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

I will be using a small portion of mine to help with paying down some CC's. But the rest is going into a savings account

Interesting about loaning Uncle Sam money. My friend and i were discussinf this earlier this week and he said that if you are fiscally responsible, then just save the extra u get from filing exempt adn then give it to them and keep your interest plus the extra u got taken out that u dont have to give back.

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 37 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

well I am not in debt so I am okay, I might pay off most of my cards which are less than 2k though.. yet I still got 12 months no interest so why should I ?
Message 38 of 49
sonson
Regular Contributor

mostly towards all the bills, but one weekend, will paint my room, get a new mattress, and new flat screen atleast 32"

Starting Score: EQ 548 [ Feb 2010 ]
Current Score: TU 663 EQ 686
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 39 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey great idea, I just had the same one, I didn't use my taxes on it, but saved up money, which was actually about the same as my taxes, I purchased a brand new mattress from Art Van a serta queen pillow top for only $499 and got a frame for $50 it came to about $570 with taxes, not too bad considering it was on sale from $999 where are you purchasing yours from??

btw on the flat screen tv, go with a  40 inch it's not much bigger, and the price is less than one hundred dollars more, but in size it's actually 25% bigger and you will notice such a bigger difference, even in a small room, I would suggest geting a samsung, btw walmart has them on sale all the time, and if you got a walmart store card why not grab there 12 months no interest promo of $299 or more, I wish I would of had my card when I purchased mine, but I paid about $850 with taxes for cash with mine, it was marked $1250 last year and mis marked so I got a great deal, don't go for them super slim tv's they are way over priced, mine is less than one inch think..

|

Message 40 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.